AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping someone could tell me based on my current projector specs if the White over Silver Spandex would work for my theater screen.
I am planning on a 16:9 ratio at 120" diagonal in a room without any ambient lighting (can be completing dark). 15'-6" throw distance.

Fujitsu LPF-D711
1200 Lumens with 3,300:1 Contrast

It was a nice projector during it time but the specs are a little subpar these days...

Or would I be better off with a higher gain AT screen from Falcon or Seyemour?

Thanks,

Corey

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,160 Posts
OK......

I find it a bit whimsical that you kinda understated the D711's position in it's day. I mean "sheesh"....it was a very early (2004)1980x1080p unit that cost well over $20,000+ :eek:

But it had / has it all! Powered Zoom---Powered Focus----H&V Lens Shift. It was the type of feature laden but over priced PJ that later Mfg models aspired to match at lower price points.

You do have to use a DVI-D to HDMI adapter though.....there were no HDMI PJs in 2004 :p

The only drawback was the lower Lumen output....but if your going to have complete light control, you can save a bundle on using the Spandex option. Besides that, the Mfg AT screens...even the Seymour "Slant Weave" version, are still often plagued with Morie issues, and going for the higher gain versions can make that situation even worse.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
If he can have a bat cave (he says ambient control, but I guess we don't know if the walls are dark), and he has a fair amount of brightness, what's the rationale for white-silver instead of white-black?

Do you figure his black levels aren't very low with that projector so he may as well go for brightness?

Or is it that the 120" screen is big enough that the calibrated lumens will stretched thin and he could use the extra brightness that silver gives versus black?

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,160 Posts
If he can have a bat cave (he says ambient control, but I guess we don't know if the walls are dark), and he has a fair amount of brightness, what's the rationale for white-silver instead of white-black?

Do you figure his black levels aren't very low with that projector so he may as well go for brightness?

Or is it that the 120" screen is big enough that the calibrated lumen will stretched thin and he could use the extra brightness that silver gives versus black?
The latter.

His PJ is no Light Cannon. With a .08 gain surface and a new Lamp, at his throw distance he'll get at best 11 foot lambert of reflected brightness.

Absolutely a Black backing would mean even better Black levels, but a dimmer image as well...and I'm sure the OP doesn't want that. But as you stated, in complete and utter darkness with absolutely no wall or ceiling reflections hitting the screen....he could go Black and never look back.

I just don't believe in suggesting any combo that depends upon a perfect viewing scenario "all" the time. And down the road, having owned such a exemplary PJ, I have no doubt any future PJ upgrade won't be needing the extra Black boosting the White / Black combo affords.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not knocking the project at all just wanted you to know it does not have the light output as some of the newer models these days and being unfamiliar with spandex screen color option gains. My theater is in my basement without windows. The ceiling is painted flat black and the front wall will be black fabric. The side walls are painted a golden beige color, so it is on the lighter side.

I am going to use the screen tight track so black under white could be an option... but like you recommended Silver under White might just be the winning ticket.

Thanks again,

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Absolutely a Black backing would mean even better Black levels, but a dimmer image as well...and I'm sure the OP doesn't want that. But as you stated, in complete and utter darkness with absolutely no wall or ceiling reflections hitting the screen....he could go Black and never look back.
I think OP's situation is like mine, at least at the current moment with an aging bulb.
Epson 8500. I just painted walls darkish, but not pitch black. Went up to a 124" 2.35 screen and did the white-black. The size increase from 109" previously is definitely thinning my lumens in calibrated mode. I'm forced to move up to the higher power lamp mode (and its higher noise) sooner than I would previously.

I just don't believe in suggesting any combo that depends upon a perfect viewing scenario "all" the time.
I appreciate that. Like when we're eating ice cream in the theater...we'll keep the overhead cans on dim...or when watching some casual TV that doesn't have deep blacks in dark scenes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts