AVS Forum banner

101 - 120 of 125 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
UPDATE......

Over 2 years now and have not even cleaned it once,...still looks great and is performing great......no regrets !

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just did a spandex 121 inch 16:9 screen and could not be happier !

Cheap and super simple.........I did not actually do a stand alone frame, but a goal posts style frame to attach it to.

I used shoe molding instead of quarter round because it was cheaper and easier to nail up with a hammer than quarter round and 2x4`s as the frame/goal posts to further reduce costs.

As far as performance goes, compared to the carls progrey it replaced it was like going from 1080 to 4K......drastic improvement in picture quality and now I have the speakers where they belong behind the screen. While I thought there was no problem with the center under the old screen, now having the center up in the middle behind the screen where it belongs has made a big improvement in voices and really makes it like it should be sound wise.

Even if you are fine with the center not being behind the screen, there is still a huge jump in sound performance having it there where it belongs. I did this mainly to get the speakers behind the screen, but the jump up in picture quality was a shock......excellent screen.

I simply used thumb tacks around the sides to hang the spandex because I could not be bothered to dig up my stapler from the garage and then go buy staples........it was super easy with the thumb tacks as any stretching can be redone easily if you get a wrinkle........

I lost approx. 15.5 inches of room depth and about 17 inches diagonal of screen as I am in a small romm and the PJ is maxed out for that throw distance... screen was 138 diagonal and is now 121 , but being 15.5 inches closer gives it the same immersion, maybe even more.........I do not feel like I lost anything screen size wise as it seems the same when watching it.

Excuse my poor pictures as it was a cheap 50 buck camera and I am no picture takin guru, I just turned the flash off and held it by hand, which is not recommended for a slow shutter night picture.

I have tried......screen materials......flexi white...flexi gray.....bare wall.....black out cloth..... pro grey...pro white...silver screen and by far the spandex looks way better picture wise.

Looks good. Could you please share steps how you did it? I might loose upto 24" in deptth because my SVS sub is about 22". Did you have any issues with sound penetrating through spandex?

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Looks good. Could you please share steps how you did it? I might loose upto 24" in deptth because my SVS sub is about 22". Did you have any issues with sound penetrating through spandex?

No issue with sound.....at all

Unless you go huge, you want the screen 24-30 inches off the floor so your eyes are at 1/3rd approx on screen.

It is just 4-2x4`s..........cut the 2 horizontal one`s to width and the 2 upright ones to height, screw them together....I use a L bracket with a drywall anchor in the ceiling........the 2 side ones are skinny side towards the seats and the top and bottom ones are wide side towards the seats, it just sits on the carpet. I took cheap quarter round to go around the outside with the rounded side facing inside the screen to keep the spandex away from all the boards...it was like 20 bucks in wood.

I filled the sides/top/bottom with cheap velvet, crush panne velour at 2.50 a yard....took like 14 yards........if the sub fits under the screen it can stick out if needed or you can make it all fit behind....whatever you like.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,762 Posts
Looks good. Did you have any issues with sound penetrating through spandex?

My goodness..........every application requires not one but two layers of Spandex (White over Black) any yet still it performs with incredible, almost unparalleled efficiency.

The entire premise concerning Spandex is that it's among the Top Two materials for Acoustic Transparency. And the other material is 10x+ more expensive.

And...it is also among the Top Two materials as far as the smoothness and clarity of the image it provides. IMHO....it is at the top of of that list.

If the Spandex only had a higher gain than 0.7 it would be absolutely the only preferred AT material to consider...at least with those who balance performance and cost effectiveness and who do not shy away from the DIY ideal.

Already there are Internet Entrepreneurs that have taken to selling Spandex as a AT Screen alternative.....at greatly increased pricing. Beyond that issue, unfortunately one would also have no assurance the Spandex they receive would be the much-vetted Milliskin Spandex that has allowed Spandex to find it's place among Audio / Video Enthusiasts.

Take the examples and testimonials you'll find on this Forum for granted.....just always consider the necessary requirements and there will be no surprises...that you don't like.;)

·
Registered
65 Posts
No issue with sound.....at all

Unless you go huge, you want the screen 24-30 inches off the floor so your eyes are at 1/3rd approx on screen.

It is just 4-2x4`s..........cut the 2 horizontal one`s to width and the 2 upright ones to height, screw them together....I use a L bracket with a drywall anchor in the ceiling........the 2 side ones are skinny side towards the seats and the top and bottom ones are wide side towards the seats, it just sits on the carpet. I took cheap quarter round to go around the outside with the rounded side facing inside the screen to keep the spandex away from all the boards...it was like 20 bucks in wood.

I filled the sides/top/bottom with cheap velvet, crush panne velour at 2.50 a yard....took like 14 yards........if the sub fits under the screen it can stick out if needed or you can make it all fit behind....whatever you like.
Thanks .

Few questions please:

i) You mentioned the screen to be 24 inches off the floor but then you also mentioned the screen touches the carpet?

ii)I am assuming i will need the frame to be wide enough to cover my floor standing LCR's and place the sub adjacent to the frame?

iii) Can you please tell me how to do you get black background with white spandex on top of it? Are these pre-cuts?

Thanks again for taking time in responding.

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #108

Think goal posts that touch the ground....I think the picture is better than my explanation.

The top and bottom board that runs horizontal is the top and bottom of the screen.....the side boards go floor to ceiling.

Its just spandex that comes approx 60 inches wide on a roll like regular material for sewing..........each yard is 3 feet long, 60 inches wide.........

You order the amount you need in black and white for your screen.........a 120 inch diagonal 16:9 screen is a little over 8 feet wide, so I ordered 3 yards each color........I used thumb tacks and stretched it around the sides of what you dee in the picks....super easy super quick.

Once you put up the 4 sticks all your other questions will be answered...you will see where things fit for you in your room.

Mississippiman is the authority on these matters, he replied above.........he has the links to spandex world to the correct milliskin spandex to use.

This was just my simple frame construction idea taken from another members idea of goal posts....just my take on it, its BIGmouthinDC`s idea.

I just reduced it to its simplest form and easiest way I could think of........

2 sides that go floor to ceiling with 2 horizontal boards that form the top and bottom of the screen........

What size screen you want in what aspect ratio determines what width the sides are and how far apart the top and bottom boards are........slide the horizontals up or down to establish height off floor of the screen.........

What size screen are going with.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,762 Posts
Thanks .

Few questions please:

I don't think @unretarded will mind me stepping in for him on a Sunday...

i) You mentioned the screen to be 24 inches off the floor but then you also mentioned the screen touches the carpet?[/QUOTE]

You had a honest misinterpretation. @RetardEd 's application is a simple affair that essentially hangs from the top surface.(Wall or Ceiling)

Both the lower ends of the right & left Vertical 2x4 Legs "rest" on the carpet, with the top end being secured to the structure with a "L" Bracket.
Up close to the top, and 24" "off the floor" there are two Horizontal 2x's that span the distance. None cross between the "Posts" on the floor.

I just happen to have a closely related example:

ii)I am assuming i will need the frame to be wide enough to cover my floor standing LCR's and place the sub adjacent to the frame?
That would "look" the best, but it is not a mandatory dictate. The example above could easily accommodate a Sub to the direct Right or Left of Center

iii) Can you please tell me how to do you get black background with white spandex on top of it? Are these pre-cuts?

The Back Ground must either be put in place prior to or after the Screen. They are separate entities. Nothing is "pre-cut"....everything is Custom since your doing the DIY'ing.

Why don't you supply some info:

Screen Size desired
Ceiling Height
Projector
Speakers

It's easy enough to make up a specific plan for you to go forward with.

Thanks again for taking time in responding.

He would'a iffin' he could'a so I done did it fer him.:cool:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
..and he did'a!

@nonretarded ya beat me to the punch by 4 minutes.

I could'a been drinkin' another Beer!

I am always glad to see your input,...people get better help and explanations that way......I am just some guy who followed your advice and put a couple sticks up with spandex on it, not the best person to explain it........soo always feel free to post in these matters as far as I am concerned.

I am confident you will get the right amount of beers in today and still find time to help everyone that you do, thanks for that !

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey all, started reading through this thread... as I bought the 120" white spandex screen from Amazon a year ago, and have yet to use it. Just recently bought the AAXA 4K1 projector (arriving soon) and wanted an easy way to have a portable setup. I have a couple bluetooth battery based speakers (last about 8 hours on a charge) that are decent enough for occasional movie watching (e.g. camping trips, etc), an HDMI audio remover to bluetooth TX... media player... just trying to dial in the screen. I feel like the spandex screen makes the most sense. Very easy to fold up and take, easy to wash if need be. The two things I am unsure of is where to get black spandex (that will match the 120" size) to put behind it to hopefully bring out the contrast a bit, and what sort of potential portable stands can be used that are strong enough to allow the material to stretch smooth without buckling them in, and withstand some wind as well, and more so portable enough to put in say a canvas bag of 3 to 4 feet in length.

So I guess.. where do you guys get your different colored spandex screen material.. and what sort of portable sturdy framing do you recommend and use?

Thank you.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,762 Posts
Starting out, the AAXA 4K1 lacks the serious Lumen output needed for a truly large Spandex screen. You might instead consider a Grommeted Flexi White version.

120" Black @ Spandex World HERE ,,,,,you'll have to call them and ask for the 120" Black

Break-Down Outdoor Screen Frame ..........Look to Carl's Place

As for a sturdy Frame that can collapse to fit in a 3'-4' Bag .......t'aint none. But you can find something close HERE

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thank you for the reply @MississippiMan. I took the plunge on the 4K1 most for indoor use, darker room, and 4K content. From the various reviews I have seen, it looks like ti will do decently well on up to about 120" or so in darker setups. I am still learning my way around LED lumen output and other light sources (e.g. halogen, laser, etc). I was hoping by now 1500 was 1500 regardless, but I have read that some say 1500 on LED is brighter than equivalent halogen.. but not as bright as laser. Not really sure what to believe..but for $700 I am sure it will be decent enough for most of my uses. I suspect.. but not sure.. outside brightness wont be as good as inside. I am however keen on its ability to be so portable and long light life, and native (semi.. I know its pixel shifted) 4K.

Thank you for the link. Does that material stretch/fold/etc like the one I got off of amazon? Or is it the type of material that is thicker, doesn't expand much, etc? I saw various pointers to using milliskin spandex screen. The one I got off of amazon I can fit in a ziploc bag but it stretches quite a bit as well. Is this material the same type or not nearly as giving? My main concern would be when unfolding it, it having lines/wrinkles that are difficult to remove. I am guessing I'll need to bring along a hair dryer or heat gun (low setting) to help get wrinkles out?

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,762 Posts
Well...guessing really amounts to simply hoping....and I hate being the one to bring reality to the fore.

First,in your initial post you mentioned you have the 120" spandex, which described as such infers that it is 120" "high" x whatever "length" the material is cut to.

If that is true, and you are wanting a 120" "diagonal" screen (105" x 59") then oh boy, you have a lot of cutting and trimming to do! And while the PJ in hand will put up a "barely watchable" image in a pitch black room w/no reflections, it will not be worthy of 4K content. Your right in as much as 1500 LED Lumen is bright...but not so much as to be worthy of splashing images onto sub 1.0 gain Spandex

If the reverse is true and you going with the larger size, then I'll say it once again with even more emphasis...YOU ABSOLUTELY CANNOT get anything near acceptable results with a 1500 lumen projector on ANY screen that possesses only 0.7 gain....unless the size of the screen is small enough to bring things into balance. Say...under 100" diagonal. 90" actually.

Then there is this:

ANY size spandex you fold down small enough to fit into even a Gallon Ziplock is gonna get very bad wrinkles, and folded lines that will not simply stretch out...nor will a hair dryer be of any use. If you used a Garbage bag and just lightly stuffed it in you would still wind up with at least wrinkles. Lightly Wrinkled spandex can be pulled out smooth, but it doesn't happen immediately, so putting a screen up just before a watch-a-thon is gonna leave you unhappy. Also, it you've had the Spandex for a year, and it came folded in a Box, then I'll venture it's now almost wrinkled and creased beyond any use.

Lastly, since to be effective you need a dual layer approach using both White and Black Spandex, you must consider that BOTH will have to be able to be removed and stored, the re-installed each time it's needed. I honestly haven't seen a single instance where Spandex has been considered for such a use. While that may mean you'd be the first to attempt such, past attempts in somewhat similar veins never considered repeated removal-re-installation let alone packing the Spandex away in a Zip Lock Baggy.

So....there is a better choice to take here and I strongly advise you consider it.

The Flexi-White is very stretchable...yet even so you do not want to fold it away in a small package because it too can and will develop "set-in" wrinkles and folds. So much so that those DIY'ers that do order the Flexi...just like the Spandex, should always order it to come on a Cardboard Roll. And...for your "Breakdown" use, you should have it cut to order by Carls, have Grommets installed, and use the Bungie-Ball method of attachment. It would be the only sensible choice to make....no offense intended.

Another Fexi-advantage...it's 1.1 gain, so that is a huge advantage for a LED projector to have working for it.

Still another...it is easily cleaned with a damp cloth....Spandex sure ain't.

The biggest change Flexi would entail in your storage plans is that you would re-roll it onto the Cardboard Tube it comes in....place that Tube inside the actual Shipping Tube, and store the material in that manner.

Sooooooo.......if ya don't hate me for using a Bowie Knife to pop your balloon of expectations, I'll still always be available to help guide you to and through a workable solution.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Dude.. I hate you. :D Kidding. No man that was fantastic info! I have no problem buying both black and white flexi-whatever you linked to. :) Makes total sense and I am good with just bringing those, unrolling for use, rolling back up to store. Seems easy enough, and it's not too expensive.. certainly worth the added flexibility (no pun intended) to be portable!!

To be clear, I was thinking 120" diagonal.. not 120" in height. :D I can't do that math, but I assume 120" in height would be more like a 150" diagonal screen or something.

I love that this screen you suggested is a 1.1 gain. Agree with you on a < 1.0 gain, already working at a disadvantage with 1500 Lumen. So all the better to grab both black and white screen. I am thinking maybe getting a little bit larger black to put that edge around the screen.. but I suspect when stretched out with however I am able to hang it up, it wont be a nice rectangle anyway. To be clear, I don't want to spend 20 minutes setting up the screen. :D.. one of the reasons the cheap spandex appealed to me was how quick it was (with bungies) to setup.

Still have to figure out a good way to set it all up in a somewhat portable fashion though. The frame you sent me to while not too bad in price does seem a bit difficult to make portable. So I have a question then.. for say.. camping trips.. where even a 60" or so sized projection screen would be fine... can I use the 120" sized screen.. for smaller screens.. or is it advisable to only use it for the actual size you intend and not have any extra just dangling around? I am going to guess based on rolling it up when done to keep it from having wrinkles.. that it likely is NOT a good idea to have a bunch of extra sticking around, thus it would be best to figure out the portable frame setup size first, then order the screen to that size?

Curious if you ever used this same flexi screen (or similar) for green screen? I do a little youtube/demo/tutorial videoing at home, and especially with WFH covid and on zoom calls, etc.. I would love to set up a decent little green screen behind me. I have a muslin green screen, but it's a bit big/unwieldy.. so was hoping to have a more portable solution that I can quickly set up behind my chair.. wondering if this same material comes in green or blue and would work well or not.

Thanks.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,762 Posts
Lots to reply on...but the most important is this.

When you use Flexi-White (or Flexi-Grey) you only need one sheet. It is not like a stretchable cloth...it is a stretchable Vinyl,totally opaque.

As for the rest....I will try to coalesce it all into a hopefully sensible and brief response. Sometimes in cases like these I put my Tutor hat on and wax a bit too verbose.

Hang tight...it's coming. But it's early Friday evening and for once I'm gonna take a hiatus, a bit of Wife & Me time.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,762 Posts
Ok.. you're killing me @MississippiMan I am checking like every 1/2 hour to see this reply of yours. :D Also.. your name brought back childhood memories of spelling that river! :D
Oh shoot....
Well all weekend leading up to today, I've had little time. Just getting in from a 13 hour stint working on a New Theater build....I'm completely whacked. Let me snooze and perhaps early AM I will knock out your reply (3-4 am)

Spellin' Mississippi as learn't in da Bottoms......
Missi, she comes first. Then I come. SS'e, she comes 2x than I PP and I come again.

Good night.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,762 Posts
Dude.. I hate you. :D Kidding. No man that was fantastic info! I have no problem buying both black and white flexi-whatever you linked to. :) Makes total sense and I am good with just bringing those, unrolling for use, rolling back up to store. Seems easy enough, and it's not too expensive.. certainly worth the added flexibility (no pun intended) to be portable!!
Flexi only comes in White and Grey.....no Black. You only use one layer of the color you choose, there is no combining them.

To be clear, I was thinking 120" diagonal.. not 120" in height. :D I can't do that math, but I assume 120" in height would be more like a 150" diagonal screen or something.
A HUGE difference being that your image will not be so HUGE.

I love that this screen you suggested is a 1.1 gain. Agree with you on a < 1.0 gain, already working at a disadvantage with 1500 Lumen. So all the better to grab both black and white screen. I am thinking maybe getting a little bit larger black to put that edge around the screen.. but I suspect when stretched out with however I am able to hang it up, it wont be a nice rectangle anyway. To be clear, I don't want to spend 20 minutes setting up the screen. :D.. one of the reasons the cheap spandex appealed to me was how quick it was (with bungies) to setup.

Still have to figure out a good way to set it all up in a somewhat portable fashion though. The frame you sent me to while not too bad in price does seem a bit difficult to make portable. So I have a question then.. for say.. camping trips.. where even a 60" or so sized projection screen would be fine... can I use the 120" sized screen.. for smaller screens.. or is it advisable to only use it for the actual size you intend and not have any extra just dangling around? I am going to guess based on rolling it up when done to keep it from having wrinkles.. that it likely is NOT a good idea to have a bunch of extra sticking around, thus it would be best to figure out the portable frame setup size first, then order the screen to that size?
Trying to use two sheets just to provide a Black border makes little sense to me, personally. 2x the expense, 2x the assembly / disassembly effort, 2x the weight, 2x the storage issues. Ditch the idea of needing / having a Border if a Breakdown design is needed.

Curious if you ever used this same flexi screen (or similar) for green screen? I do a little youtube/demo/tutorial videoing at home, and especially with WFH covid and on zoom calls, etc.. I would love to set up a decent little green screen behind me. I have a muslin green screen, but it's a bit big/unwieldy.. so was hoping to have a more portable solution that I can quickly set up behind my chair.. wondering if this same material comes in green or blue and would work well or not.

Thanks.
No Green Flexi, but there are Green Screen paints you can use.
Amazon.com: ChromaKey Video Paint 1 Quart Green Screen Equivalent: Home Improvement
Another choice in a Quart size
Gallon Size

101 - 120 of 125 Posts