AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I decided to make an AT screen I spent a certain amount of time on the phone with the Spandex World sales rep to make sure nothing got messed up. I ordered six yards of matte silver spandex, and six yards of matte white spandex and politely specified that I wanted them shipped in rolls, so I wouldn't have to deal with creases in the material. The sales rep said that would be no problem.

Today I got my two "rolls" neatly folded and packed in a little square box.

Crease city.

Needless to say, I'm kind of pissed.

My question: Should I deal with the hassle of trying to get the creases out myself, or deal with the hassle of trying to get them to fix my order?

If any of you have dealt with this before ... which route do you think would offer the least amount of additional hassle?

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,473 Posts
Contact them and state/refer to the original order arrangements. Your request isn't out of the ordinary, and it's possible for someone to screw up. And besides, even if the foul went deep, and the order makes no mention of a "Roll Request", the obviousness of one's need to avoid the wrinkles makes the discussion moot. I doubt that would not take your word. But I suspect they will have to get the return first before reshipping on their ticket.

..............unless they confirm their foul up....then expect decent Customer Service.

Yeah....a PITA kinda thing to have when your cocked and loaded. But 6 yards packed folded means a LOT of fold induce wrinkles. Too many to have best hopes you'll have no issues.

My own experience says; "Request a Return / Replacement asap. That's it. Just ask for a re-issue of the order.

Oh yeah....and a return Shipping label....don't forget that!!!

Here's a similar but different situation. It came rolled as requested, but.............. http://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-d...-0-spandex-white-over-black.html#post29851666

·
Registered
479 Posts
I too wasted time over the phone with SpandexWorld and never receiving it on a roll as promised. Our 6 yard orders weren't worth their time apparently.. It currently sits bagged and wrinkled up.

Whatever doesn't come out naturally from stretching most likely can be removed by a handheld steamer? I have good luck using a water based streamer for photography backgrounds. It does a great job at removing wrinkles out of Muslin backgrounds, but can be very hot. I thinking this should be okay with Spandex?

Please speak up if this is a bad idea :eek: I would hate for someone to experience negative side effects if there are any to be had from steaming spandex.

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
Is spandex-world charging extra for rolled VS folded fabric while it's not performing the request, or is it at least a free (albeit denied) service?

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,473 Posts
I personally never had that experience, but when they shipped me the wrong length of B&W on a roll they did replace it w/no issue and let me keep the original shipment.

Asking for a Rolled shipment needs to be done both during the original instruction requested on the Order form as well as with a Follow up call.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MM, I still need to reply to your post in that other thread and I will today. Don't mean to leave you hanging.

But as for this thread--as my first post indicates, I was pretty unhappy about the boxed-up spandex. But in the end it didn't really matter. I draped the spandex over my frame and let it hang there for a day or so and then when I stapled it onto the frame all the creases were either already gone or I got them out with minor effort. I guess the one question I might have is--did I have to stretch it more than I would have otherwise to get those remaining creases out? And I don't know the answer to that. But in the future I don't think I'll bother ordering spandex rolled, if I order again--especially since SpandexWorld probably won't ship it to me that way anyway. As far as I know I wasn't charged extra for the non-existent roll, but I should probably double check on that.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,473 Posts
Yeah....I myself have not found Spandex to be too worrisome as far as one having to be concerned about stretch out wrinkles. BOC....even the stretchy Flexi-White material, they can be more at issue if jammed into a small container.

But by my reasoning I would still "request" a roll if there was no charge, and to date I do not think there was one. But then again, if you order 8 yards, 4 each of a specific type, you should expect to be able to dictate your preference.

I'll look forward to your response...I really didn't think there should be an issue, and going forward I hope there would be none.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't order directly from their webpage--I ordered over the phone, talking to a live person. I thought that would be better but it looks like its the opposite ...

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,473 Posts
I didn't order directly from their webpage--I ordered over the phone, talking to a live person. I thought that would be better but it looks like its the opposite ...
Requesting a "Roll" on the Order is paramount.....following up with a reminder call is the strongly suggested back-up.

Do both, and any foul-up is on their shoulders. When last I did so, and it came on a roll but the wrong size, they replaced the order immediately, and let me keep the original order. :cool:

·
Registered
448 Posts
I can see where a roll would be so much better for delivery to keep creases out. I bought my spandex at Jo Ann fabrics and they like to fold it in half on the in stock rolls. I got out the ironing board and iron and got rid of the crease. I can see though if you have creases all across your fabric and you don't even have a iron or a ironing board in your house the crease problem would be a show stopper.

·
Registered
161 Posts
i hate to bump a year old thread, but they just did the same thing to me. I ordered 3 yards of white and 3 yards of grey and put ' send on a roll' in the comments and followed up with a call. The lady on the phone confirmed the note and said should would put in a double note.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,473 Posts
i hate to bump a year old thread, but they just did the same thing to me. I ordered 3 yards of white and 3 yards of grey and put ' send on a roll' in the comments and followed up with a call. The lady on the phone confirmed the note and said should would put in a double note.
Recontact them. They will resend your order and you can keep the boxed material.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Recontact them. They will resend your order and you can keep the boxed material.[/QUOTE

I called them this morning and they are reshipping it. The lady did apologize and gave me an RMA to return it. I actually ordered 4 yards each, which is i guess is big enough to want a return.

So a minor delay, but no biggie. I still have to mount the projector, decide on 16:9 or 2.35:1, put in the floor, build the frame... small things :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts