Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this is the appropriate forum to ask the following question:

Periodically I hear sparkles/static/pops from my HT system. Why and what can I do about it?

I have the following equipment:

- Lexicon MC8 processor

- Adcom 5500/5503 ? 5x200 watts/channel (next on the upgrade list)

- Rega Planet - CD player

- Panasonic DV-47Ai - DVD/SACD

- Vandersteen 3A sigs L/R

- Vandersteen 2CEs rears

- Vandersteen VCC-5 Center

- M&K 15? sub-woofer

- Panamax 1500/1000+ surge protectors/filters

I have disconnected Cable, DBS and each of the components to try and isolate the problem.

It seems to me that the sparkle is coming from the wall power. I have 2 dedicated 20 amp circuits that I use for the HT system and have Panamax 1500/1000+ that all of the equipment is plugged into.

Not sure what to do next? Any help is appreciated.

Audio-dude.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Swampfox
Have you tried removing the panamax from the system?

No I don't think so. :) I will try that tonight. But some how I dont think its the Panamax.

Audio-dude

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by tubeguy44
if it's not the panamax then it must be the amplifier or your processor....

Status so far:

1) I bought a Belkin SurgeMaster II Gold (Filters EMI/RFI up 60 DB) and pluged it in between the wall and Panamax.

- The noise/sparkle was significantly reduced.

2) I still haven't unpluged the panamax from the system to see if it is the problem.

- I will do this as soon as I can. Lots of power cables to mess with, much easier to install the Belkin between wall and Panamax.

3) The noise/sparkle was present when my previous processor was in place (DC2 was upgraded to MC-8 recently), so I don't think it is the processor.

4) It could be the amplifier.

My conclusions so far:

1) The power from the wall is probably the problem and will need some more filtering/isolation than either the Belkin or Panamax can do.

2) Panamax is the problem, will need to unplug it from the system and see.

3) The amplifier is the problem. If this is the case, I have a good reason to upgrade. :)

Audio-dude

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
The reason I brought up the panamax, is that I noticed EMI on my system after I installed the panamax. It wasn't there before I installed it. I no longer use it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.