AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to see if anyone could help out with my experience. I wanted to try PC gaming on my Hitachi 51 RPTV. I have the ATI 9800 all in wonder installed so I plugged in the red component adapter into the video out on the card. When I attempted to plug in the component cables from the TV into the adapter I heard a pop and saw flash come from the back of the TV! I'm sure it's not a shock to some of you the input I was using is fried. I thought the problem might have been that the TV and PC were both powered on when I did this so I thought I'd give it another go with input # 2. Don't worry the TV is under Circuit City warrenty anyways so what the hell. So I turned off the TV and unplugged the PC. Now everything is hooked up and I turned the TV on. Ok...nothing blowing up, Let's try plugging PC power in... wooooow - nevermind! As soon as I plugged the power cable into the back of the PC the lights dimmed and a loud buzzing occured!?! Also when i try to connect the cable (coax tv cable) to the back of the computer (ATI tuner card) it sparks like crazy. Everything is hooked up correctly and everything works fine by itself. It only occurs when I try connecting soemthing to the PC - weather its the receiver, tv, or cable. Now i'm pretty sure it has something to do with the electrical in this old apartment building i live in because i've had the cable (tv) connected to this same machine at my parents house with no problem. Others have suggested it maybe because the tv, receiver, cable have different ground points than the computer does. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? Any suggestions would help.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'd go along with the diagnosis of a major ground fault problem. My guess is that that TV isn't grounded properly, but just a guess. You can get an outlet tester at Radio Shack or Home Depot, etc., for just a few bucks. You plug it in and the LEDs tell you if it's not grounded or has flipped hot/neutral. I wouldn't try it again until it's fixed. ;)

·
Registered
258 Posts
IS the PC plugged into the same outlet as the rest of the TV and equipment? If so, it is likely that the PC's power supply has a hot chassis (ground isn't really ground anymore). I've only seen this on non type accepted power supplies (not UL/CSA listed).

Might need a new power supply.

Do you by chance have warm air heat??? One good static discharge is enough to cook TVs, stereos, pcs, etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.