1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
14,495 Posts
I believe Robert Harris led the restoration for this upcoming release which means it will be outstanding.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe Robert Harris led the restoration for this upcoming release which means it will be outstanding.
You don't have to "believe"...you can now say you KNOW Robert Harris led the restoration:

http://www.hollywood-elsewhere.com/2015/03/get-2/#more-65243

“The bottom line is that the new Spartacus is going to be gorgeous,” Harris told me earlier today. “The work has been underway since last July, and it’s been a huge, huge project. I’ve been consulting with them, and Universal is taking this very seriously. They’re doing everything that I asked for, and in 4K. You’re going to see detail and color that you haven’t seen since the restored 70mm version screened 24 years ago.”

I cannot wait....

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
So if this release is coming out in late 2015... wouldn't that imply a 4K Blu-ray release? Not that I mind double-dipping.
Indeed. As I predicted in the older Spartacus thread when I broke the news of the impending Blu-Ray release of the 4K restoration, an UltraHD Blu-Ray release as a title to use for selling the format when it hits the streets is pretty much a given.

·
Banned
16,643 Posts
This won't be from the Criterion Collection? ...Universal Studios?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
So if this release is coming out in late 2015... wouldn't that imply a 4K Blu-ray release? Not that I mind double-dipping.

maybe they will do what they are doing currently with packaging dvds with the blurays. But now you get a regular bluray with the UHD bluray

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This won't be from the Criterion Collection? ...Universal Studios?
It's from Universal. All new 6K scans from the original negatives. Supervised by Robert Harris.

·
Banned
16,643 Posts
It's from Universal. All new 6K scans from the original negatives. Supervised by Robert Harris.
6K is new to me (first mention I've read); 4K and 8K scanning...ok, that we've seen. ...6K is new. ...And Robert Harris's reputation is solidified by his artistic and very capable work. I wish more studios would hire him all the time for so many flicks in need of serious restoration. We need a lot of people like Robert Harris working for all Hollywood movie studios in the business of movie restoration/Blu-ray authoring.

Films are like diamonds of history; lasting love for women, and men, and children. We need to take care of the good ones, including 'Spartacus'.
...Which by the way my older DVD version of it has developed the "rotten disc" issue, among other Universel Studios' DVD titles.
It wouldn't play @ all anymore; had to throw it in the garbage can, and purchased the Blu...which we all know where it's @ right now, unfortunately.
But fortunately now, finally.

Universal Studios are a funny bunch, @ times.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
In...

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
My copy is great... very nice.

especially the sound. great job on this release.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
By the way, I got this a couple weeks ago and it is fantastic. Ben-Hur/Ten Commandments quality, beautiful disc. Too bad I'll be double-dipping in a few months when the UHD Blu-ray is released, but it's worth it.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
By the way, I got this a couple weeks ago and it is fantastic. Ben-Hur/Ten Commandments quality, beautiful disc. Too bad I'll be double-dipping in a few months when the UHD Blu-ray is released, but it's worth it.
It's coming out in the UHD format in a few months?

·
Banned
16,643 Posts
It's coming out in the UHD format in a few months?

Quick way of speech; it might, and it might take a while too...maybe two years, less or more.
...Same thing with 'The Fifth Element', 'Samsara', 'Baraka', 'Lawrence of Arabia', et cetera.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts