AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

i am looking for some spray paint cans (black) for speaker stands and pvc pipes.

what brands do you recommend?

preferably something that i can pick up from Homedepot or Lowes. thanks

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
I picked up some Rustoleum brand gloss black and "2x" primer something-or-another, and Minwax brand spray polyurethane (not water based) for a build at home depot. I'm not ready to spray yet, but I'll post pics when I'm done.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
You may want to. I'd hate to have something built, just to have the paint flake off or be easily scratched off later down the road.

I know for MDF, it sucks paint in like crazy so I'm going to seal the wood and use a primer.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz /forum/post/20873889

do i need to prime pvc pipes?

Yes, with a primer suitable for PVC and the color coat being used. You will want to knock off the shine first with fine sand paper or a Scotchbrite pad to ensure good adhesion. As always, follow the manufacturer's instructions.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I would personally use XIM's 400 primer or Plastic/Vinyl primer. Both are available in spray and brush/roll application. Call your local Sherwin Williams and ask them if they carry the 400 primer. XIM 400 adhesion primer tests very well in adhesion to glossy surfaces. I realize Krylon makes a "Fusion" designed for plastic/PVC, but I wouldn't choose it unless I couldn't find the XIM products locally. You could also call an automotive paint store and get BullDog adhesion primer. I sell all of the above mentioned products and would recommend the two specific adhesion primers before the "paint to plastic" aerosols hands down!

·
Registered
8,404 Posts
You can buy adhesion promoter in a wipe form then use any type of primer you want. I'd recommend SEM paint and primer. It's a bit more expensive but you get what you pay for. If it's good enough for a Bently, it's good enough for some speaker stands.

·
Registered
55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz /forum/post/20874088

great. many thanks guys!

do you also sand down the woods after painting?

It depends what type of finish I'm after. If I'm painting with a textured or hammered paint unless there's an obvious flaw in the primer coat I'll not sand the enclosure. On the other hand if I want a flat, satin, or gloss finish I'll repeat steps of prime / wet sand until I can no longer find low spots while sanding the primer coat.

Take it easy

Jay

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
why not coat the whole thing with high build primer, sand it smooth, then hit it with a color coat or three, then hit it with a finish coat or three?

paint alone just brings out imperfections in the finish, it does not hide them. that is what primer is for.

shoot some pics. people like pics. ;-)

edit: crap, i see that you are spraying pvc. that is a little different. there was a guy who does that for a living who posted a while back. i'll see if i can dig it up...

from a post some time ago...

re painting pvc, i've wondered about that too.

there is a discussion where one guy posted:

"We've been building robots of PVC for many years. The only paint we've found satisfactory for long term use is Krylon Interior/Exterior Spray Paint. This paint works BETTER than their new Fusion Plastic paint and better than Rustoleum's new Plastic paint as well. While Rustoleum general purpose paint is a close second, it remains slightly tacky to the touch for some time. Our only problem is that Krylon discontinued our preferred color -"

some of the other folks on the site have some interesting options as well

http://www.finishing.com/180/80.shtml

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks LT, i am really looking for something quick and cheap. these stands are for surrounds so wow factor is really a low priority.

i am using PVC pipe, painted black, with stained BB panels on top and bottom. just like the TNT design, but i am skipping the threaded rod. hopefully this will still be solid enough.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
finished my speaker stands for the (soon to be built 1pi surround speakers).

i painted the PVC pipes with Rustoleum Painter's Touch gray primer and flat black.

the top/bottom panels where stained with amber shellac and a final coat of minwax poly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.