Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

hope somebody can help me out on this one.

I've got 2 spdif outputs in my HTPC, one from the

Nforce2 motherboard (via daughtercard), and one from

a MYHD-120 dvi daughtercard.

With either optical spdif output, my Yamaha Receiver

will recieve a PCM Dolby Digital signal. However, after a few seconds (anywhere from 2 to 30) the receiver will turn itself off as if its recieving a power spike or some such thing.

It doesn't seem to be from anything in particular (ie loud explosions, anything sonically overpowering).

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

(This happens with both spdif outputs)

My system setup is:

Biostar nforce-2 micro atx motherboard

Ati Radeon 7500

MyHD 120 with DVI daughtercard

256 mb DDR (a little low I know)

2 WD Hardrives

Pioneer 16X DVDROM

Pretty basic stuff.

Thanks in advance

sean

·
Registered
415 Posts
Yea im experiencing something similar as you are.. I havent been able to figure out whats causing it yet..

What kind of reciever are you using?

Im using a Denon 3803

·
Registered
502 Posts
Hmm. I'll have to look out for this... Does this happen *only* when you are playing back stuff through MyHD? If so, are your 2 SPDIF going to separate inputs on your receiver? By this last question I mean, are the inputs labeled differently, such as TV/SAT for one and DVD for the other or whatever..? I ask this because my receiver/amp has a coax and an optical input for DVD and a separate optical input for TV/SAT. If I were to plug myHD's coax SPDIF and my board's optical SPDIF into the two TV/SAT inputs, here's what I think might happen (someone more knowledgeable please confirm):

Even with myHD configured to output SPDIF, audio would still go out (via the PCI bus) if Wave and/or Cable are enabled. The nforce2 motherboard would then go do its AC3 encoding and output that via its own optical SPDIF. And whamo, collision at the receiver. Is this even possible, or have is my brain now fried thanks to Powerstrip? I wonder if the situation is even possible when feeding the TV/SAT and DVD inputs separately, but concurrently...

·
Registered
502 Posts
Oh, one more thing. None of this would be an issue if myHD had the option to pump digital audio to the PCI bus so that the nforce2 onboard audio could pipe it out. But as far as I can tell, it doesn't do that. Bummer, because it is possible; that is, after all, how digital audio comes out of a DVD player, first through the IDE bus, then onto the motherboard, then either to onboard sound or back to the PCI bus on its way to a sound card. In other words, it is technically possible to pump digital sound through the PCI bus.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Mine goes into Standby mode, when logging off windows, it trys to play the log off music for a split second and then goes right into standby mode...

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by eswrite
Oh, one more thing. None of this would be an issue if myHD had the option to pump digital audio to the PCI bus so that the nforce2 onboard audio could pipe it out. But as far as I can tell, it doesn't do that. Bummer, because it is possible; that is, after all, how digital audio comes out of a DVD player, first through the IDE bus, then onto the motherboard, then either to onboard sound or back to the PCI bus on its way to a sound card. In other words, it is technically possible to pump digital sound through the PCI bus.
You need to read the forum more before making such statements.

Many MyHD users are sending AC-3 (and PCM from NTSC) over the PCI bus for S/PDIF output by the soundcard.

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
"With either optical spdif output, my Yamaha Receiver

will recieve a PCM Dolby Digital signal. However, after a few seconds (anywhere from 2 to 30) the receiver will turn itself off as if its recieving a power spike or some such thing.

It doesn't seem to be from anything in particular (ie loud explosions, anything sonically overpowering)."

Have you checked for this problem with analog input or is it only when switching to digital input?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry for taking so long to reply (been a little busy)

Yes, this does seem to happen regardless of whatever mode I'm in (digital or analog) with the spdif output. I've played with all the settings

from the Nvidia Nforce options panel, and all result in the amp switching off.now

The regular stereo output from the Nforce motherboard into the TV audio

inputs (Sammy DLP) are fine. I'll try those into the Reciever to see if anything odd occurs.

Eswrite, this happens with either spdif jack, which is making me think it

might be something to do with the Yamaha reciever.

It was one of the first Dolby Digital recievers out,

so maybe its tolerances are rather picky.

(oh the joy's and sorrow's of the early adopter)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.