AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have HTPC setup and have one last hurtle to jump before its finished.

I am running MCE2k5 fully updated with NVIDIA decoders.

when playing a DVD with either Dolby or DTS, all sounds are downsampled to stereo out on my coax SPDIF

although if I use powerdvd6 as the player, I get full DTS and DD out SPDIF.

I understand that powerdvds codec only works with the powerdvd player, but I thought NVIDIA's codec

would allow DD and DTS pass-through via SPDIF from within MCE2k5 players.

what am I doing wrong?. every setting I could find within NVIDIA's options have SPDIF selected.

all windows, MP3, etc sounds pass-through just fine on SPDIF.. its just any DVDs or videos with DD or DTS.

here's my specs

Asus A7V600-X (onboard SoundMAX sound with SPDIF -coax)

MCE 2k5 fully updated

NVIDIA DVD Decoder Platinum 1.00.67

Geforce4 ti4200

I have done quite a few searches on AVS.. lots of people with the same issue, but different configurations than mine.

can somebody point me the right way? :confused:

·
Registered
725 Posts
Be sure you are using the latest nvida decoder. Here is the link for latest version.
ftp://download1.nvidia.com/Windows/...coder/1.02-150/

Install Microsoft Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility "ddecheck.exe"
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...&displaylang=en

Run the Checkup Utility and verify that the nvidia decoder is selected as the preferred decoder.

Start Media Center and begin playing a DVD. Reduce Media Center so it is running in a window. You should see a nvidia icon on on the taskbar, double click on it. Then click on the Audio tab, Speaker Setup, a reciever, via a SPDIF cable and OK. You should now have 5.1 from your SPDIF out.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
If the decoder is setup properly according to the Windows decoder checkup utility, have you tried nStantMedia's settings? From there you can better gauge how the sound is being handled.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tried that.. i can definitely see the icon, and everything is set to spdif. i am getting sound but its PCM not passthru. the PC is downsampling the audio when i use MCE.

using an outright program like powerdvd works fine. i think it has to do with an incompatibility issue with my onboard sound. i pretty much gave up on that. now im looking for a new soundcard that will be supported.

the Nvidia specs state that Creative Audigy2 ZS is supported with Spdif passthrough. can anybody back that up before i spend the money on it???

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by latntekky
the Nvidia specs state that Creative Audigy2 ZS is supported with Spdif passthrough. can anybody back that up before i spend the money on it???
That setup does work, but you don't have to buy that expensive of a card if all you want to do is pass digital audio with the Nvidia decoder. I believe they have cheaper compatible options listed as well, like the Turtle Beach cards.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
MCE DVD player apparently does not have an audio switching option. The DVD will default to DD or PCM and you cannot select DTS like Power DVD.

I don't use MCE but that's what I read here.

The only other option is to rip the DVD and leave DTS as the only audio source.

Nothing wrong w/ your hardware.

Another reason for me to stay away form MCE.....mike....

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the info.

i just picked up the audigy2 card now with a 21day return policy.

i will try it tonight to see if it works. by all means it "should" work with what i have now.. but this is MCE we are talking about here so who knows.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.