AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to software decode an SPDIF stream or are you locked into the HW implementation?

I have a stream coming in optical input on my mobo, 2 channel seems to work great, but it can't seem to decoded any 5.1, is there software out there that can monitor my spdif, decode the stream and spit out 5.1? (like not pass through, using the soundcard's output)

Perhaps I just don't understand the SPDIF's function but is the chip doing the DAC or is the signal passed through somewhere else first? can you access the stream and do the decoding some other way??

I am sure this question has been asked a million times, but I can't seem to find the answer anywhere...

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
the only viable DD/DTS external decoding solution is a late model Audigy or an X-FI...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks jim, I guess it time to look into a audio card... besides the background noise on the cheapo integrated sound is driving me crazy.

would still be HW limited tho, Seems odd there isn't a product that does this, like a multi-in PCI card, oh well... maybe i'll read up on what the pre/pro guys are doing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.