AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since upgrading to XP Home, I've noticed a distinct interference/stutter when playing music/DVD's via SPDIF output. It comes and goes, but it happens more whenever there is any other activity on the PC (like the mouse moving, closing windows, network, etc.)

I didn't notice this with W2K or 98. I am using the Philips Acoustic Edge card (driver v1.89), an Athlon 1.34 gHz, 256Mb memory, 7200 RPM disk, Geforce 2 GTS graphics card.

It's very annoying. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
have you confirmed that all drives on your IDE chain are using DMA? Goto the XP control panel, system device manager and look at the IDE controller advanced settings tab. confirm that your drives are using DMA and not PIO.

If one of the drives happens to come up PIO (and you know that it supports DMA), delete the IDE controller channel and reboot and and let the system redescover it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dm,

Thank you very much! That worked. The primary channel was PIO (now DMA).

That's one to remember. Thanks,

Mike.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I have a shuttle P4 mini pc with the AC97 on board and some DVDs, music and/or movie just spaz on the audio or just stop playing. All the recources look fine.

I even swapped in my toshiba DVD player from my main HTPC (using Extigy and OPtical out) and no diff. Off to find better drivers I guess.

Marc

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.