AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently using an optical SPDIF connection from my VistaMCE HTPC to my receiver. The output is working fine in all my apps (PCM, spdif passthru, etc).

The problem I'm having is that when no sounds are playing, the spdif connection goes idle and turns 'off', losing sync to the receiver. First, this creates a 0.5-1.0s sync delay in sound when signal is sent again. 2nd, this sometimes will create pops, cracks, snaps, etc during the sync.

I've searched here in the forums and google for an utility that keeps the signal always 'on', but to no avail. I did find a workaround online....start a media player (mpc, wmp, etc), play a music file, hit pause, and leave the player open and the signal will not go idle. But I have to manually do this everytime I startup my PC, gets pretty annoying after a couple of days.

Anybody knows of any tools that can accomplish this???
Thanks

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
enable your screen saver, one with audio, such as the aquarium one.

- Josh

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Here is something I posted in the X-plosion thread which should work:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeniguana00 /forum/post/0

you could download Audacity, a high powered, open source, audio editing program (2.5 mb). You can then click on generate and then silence. A window will then pop up that says for how many seconds. Accept the default value of 30 second and hit play and then pause. The X-plosion will continue outputting a DTS stream, so you will have no delay. Audacity takes about 10k or ram while running, and very low cpu power. If you don't like an open window all the time you could choose a longer second value and export the file to a .wav file and download an open source 850 kb audio player ironically called "AudioPlayer" here . Just open up the .wav file, play, loop, and minimize to the tray.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I too have the issue in this thread for my onboard optical audio (Gigabyte GA-MA69G-S3H...ATX w/o DTS Connect if it matters). For my future reference, what do I need to look for when I upgrade my motherboard or sound card using S/PDIF for this issue? Is this software or hardware?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts