AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HT Speaker Experts-

I would greatly appreciate some advice on selecting speakers for my new dedicated HT. It will be ~17' x 17'. I plan to mount an acoustically transparent screen on the front wall, behind which will be the speakers. There is a ~2.5' "closet" (my builder thought I was nuts) behind the screen wall, where the speakers will be placed, with holes cut in the wall to accommodate the speakers. This will allow me to have 3 large identical speakers for front left, center and right.

I have an older but still great massive SVS subwoofer that I plan to use. I am looking to go all in (for my budget) and spend maybe ~$10k on the room. I will also need components, for which I could also spend an extra maybe 1-2k?

I have been thinking about the Triton Ones for the fronts, though the cost is high. I am certainly open to other less expensive suggestions. I would like in-wall speakers for the surrounds. I have been looking at Nobel Fidelity in-walls for another room, and could also go with those for the HT surround, though I would have no idea how they would work with Tritons or another set of fronts…

Opinions?

·
Banned
8,743 Posts
Triton Ones would be a waste behind an acoustically transparent screen in a dedicated room. In that room, I would be looking at some Reaction CX-10s for the front stage and some CX-8s for the surrounds. I would also want some additional bass reinforcement, and for that I would be looking at the upcoming subs from Reaction or some Hsu VTF15h mk2s. Since the speakers are so sensitive, I wouldn't worry about separate amps, any good AVR will be able to drive them. I would get an AVR with Audyssey, preferably one with MultiEQ XT32 if you get a multiple subwoofer system (a multiple subs system is highly recommended). In a room of that size, a system like the one outlined will give you a serious THX experience.

·
Registered
19,074 Posts
HT Speaker Experts-

I would greatly appreciate some advice on selecting speakers for my new dedicated HT. It will be ~17' x 17'. I plan to mount an acoustically transparent screen on the front wall, behind which will be the speakers. There is a ~2.5' "closet" (my builder thought I was nuts) behind the screen wall, where the speakers will be placed, with holes cut in the wall to accommodate the speakers. This will allow me to have 3 large identical speakers for front left, center and right.

I have an older but still great massive SVS subwoofer that I plan to use. I am looking to go all in (for my budget) and spend maybe ~$10k on the room. I will also need components, for which I could also spend an extra maybe 1-2k?

I have been thinking about the Triton Ones for the fronts, though the cost is high. I am certainly open to other less expensive suggestions. I would like in-wall speakers for the surrounds. I have been looking at Nobel Fidelity in-walls for another room, and could also go with those for the HT surround, though I would have no idea how they would work with Tritons or another set of fronts…

Opinions?

M & K's might work - http://www.mksound.com/

Do the speakers need to be a certain size for those openings ?

·
Registered
9,184 Posts
HT Speaker Experts-

Opinions?
Since they're not going to be visible, so no aesthetic concerns, take a look at Reaction Audio (mentioned previously) PSA, JTR and Seaton for high output, high efficiency theater speakers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the thoughts so far! Do others agree that something like the Triton Ones would not be good for this application?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am curious about this too. My plan was for a pair of Triton 1's behind a non-transparent screen, but behind a GOM fabric false wall. I'm not sure how these would be a "waste". I figure I am saving about 2K by not having to buy 2 separate subs. I want to get the best that I can afford but not if I am going to be limited by my design.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do want to take advantage of my situation, and go for quality over aesthetics and size. In fact I would like for them to be as huge as necessary to generate excellent sound with no regards to how big that makes them. In this vain, per suggestions here, it looks like something akin to the Reaction CX-15Ts might fit the bill? Have people here had much experience with those? I want to go for really high quality, and am wondering what I would be giving up, besides some LFE, by going with something like these over the Triton Ones, which cost over twice as much?

·
Premium Member
8,440 Posts
Can anybody comment on how the Reaction CX-15Ts sound?

I think they sound fantastic, but of course I'm a little bias as I own some. But I did sell the highly regarded JTR 228HT's that I owned after hearing the CX-15t's.
I personally think if you can work with the size of them they are one of the best speakers around at it's price point.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts