AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soo i was shopping around for Speakers today and went to a BnM called Nebraska Furniture Mart. This place is pretty much my favorite electronics store ever and are know for their very good deals. (i got my PX80U panasonic there for 930 after taxes).

I have my xbox 360, Wii and PS3 now with a good TV on them ... its come time to upgrade the audio. I'm pretty much set on a Onkyo TX-SR606 AVR soo now its pretty much deciding what speakers i want. I'm moving to a new place within about 2 months so basically for now I'm sticking to the idea of 5.1 setup until i know how much space I'll have.

I would budget this project to be at most ... 1200 dollars max. But would obviously enjoy staying under a grand

Anyway, Nebraska Furniture Mart runs a bundle on a Klipsch system with the Onkyo 606 thrown in. The system includes RSX-4 for the mains, RCX-4 for the center and a KSW 10 Sub. The speakers come to a total of $1154,94 and the AVR is thrown in for 44.99 which brings the total to $1199,93. After 7% sales tax this would be 1283.93.

A bit more than would like to spend but if they the speakers are impressive.

There are of course other options. I have a friend who i would consider an audiophile who highly recommended a BIC system to me. The center speaker in particular. So he suggested a Venturi DV62CLR-S for my center, DV64 towers for the front mains and the DV62si bookshelf for the rears. Pricing this total package on amazon comes to ~530 dollars with free shipping. This is also nice because i can just spend 100 dollars and add the DV62si bookshelf units the rear for 7.1 sound in the future if needed. This of course leaves out the sub and the Onkyo AVR. Assuming i get something like the Acoustech H100 for 216 and the AVR for 405 (amazon prices) that would bring the grad total to ~1,150.

The BIC set would save me 130 dollars and i would be getting tower speakers instead of bookshelfs. sooo ...

What would you guys do, or what other speaker setup should i consider. Remember budget is about 1,200 dollars

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I am not a fan of small, tiny speakers. With that said, you'll probly guess which speakers I would buy with my money. But it's not what I like but its what YOU like. The size of your room will come to play as well. We all throw out opinions but in the end, its really up to you and your ears.

I suggest you go out and try to listen to more speakers to get an idea and compare these Klipsch with. Go test their floorstands to see if its better. Other brands you can easily find are Polks, Infinity, Boston Acoustic. Older models are on clearance and you can get a great deals on these close out. I just picked up 4 Infinity Primus speakers for $400, once sold at $1200. If you want to see what's up with all the fuzz about higher end speakers, heck audition them as well. That way, you'll know if its worth the upgrade later on.

BIC is a pretty decent company that sells entry level speakers for a great price. From my research, most owners have been very happy with the BIC Venturi and the BIC Acoustech line. Seems that owners who listen to music a lot tend to favor the Venturi lines and those who are into Home Theater tend to favor the Acoustech line. The Acoustech was built to compete against Klipsch Floor standing speakers.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'm gonna take a look around some more. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I picked up my Klipsch Rx-5x (center, floorstanders, rear bookshelfs) and a Velodyne DLS-3750R for a hair above US$1200 out the door from a local authorized dealer so don't hesitate to look around. I'm using an Onkyo 606 with these and originally I tested the RCX with the 606 and was disappointed with the results.

Audition the speakers before you buy and don't hesitate to try out other speakers.

·
Registered
611 Posts
For $798 you can purchase 5.1 Orbs from Orb Audio.

PS3/360 games sound great and movies become a real treat. However music genres like Hard Rock, Heavy Metal and some Pop sounds just plain wrong since the Orbs lack tweeters. Jazz, Classical and Opera are great as the Orbs really power through this kind of music in the mid-range.

To give you an idea. I demoed the Klipsch Synergy IIIs at Best Buy in the Magnolia area. I prefered the sound of the F-2 over the F-1 and F-3. For some reason, the F-2s just appeared to have a wider sound stage whereas the F-1 and F-3 were more narrow. The Orbs sound like an F-1.75 if one existed with just plain audio. Go listen and you will understand.

Just a thought.

http://www.orbaudio.com

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where could i audition these orb audio sets?

·
Registered
611 Posts
Sorry, unless you are in California, New York or someone in the Orb thread lives near you.....the only way is to buy them and see. If you don't like them, Orb has a 30 day money back guarantee.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts