AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,
About 5 years ago i posted here about suggestions for setting up the family room in the new house i was moving into and you guys gave phenominal advice. My family room is big and open and connects directly to the kitchen.

Here is the current set up:
Subs 2x hsu vtf-15h
L&r front Ascend 340 se
Center ascend 340 se
Rears (never installed :( ) ascend 170
Receiver recently upgraded to denon x4500h but will likely need to upgrade that soon for hdmi 2.1

Just picked up a samsung q900ts 85 yesterday and wanted to step up some things.

I either want to get the speaker stands from ascend or pick up something that is superior to the 340se for my L&R front. The 170 i bought for rear never got installed and i installed them on a different tv as its front l&r. I am wondering would the 340se be amazing rears if i upgraded my fronts? Also im interested in adding atmos if you guys can recommend some atmos speakers that you think would fit this set up.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
17,044 Posts
I either want to get the speaker stands from ascend or pick up something that is superior to the 340se for my L&R front. The 170 i bought for rear never got installed and i installed them on a different tv as its front l&r. I am wondering would the 340se be amazing rears if i upgraded my fronts? Also im interested in adding atmos if you guys can recommend some atmos speakers that you think would fit this set up.
What % of your usage is 2-channel music listening, vs HT/TV?

If the large majority of your usage is HT/TV, I'd upgrade just the center since it does 70-80% of the HT/TV output and 98% of the dialogue. In which case you could get the Ascend Sierra Horizon center, or if you're not a "timbre matching" follower, any number of other nice 3 way options from different brands.

If improving 2 channel music listening is your goal, then I'd look at the Sierras (1 or 2, or Towers, depending on budget) if you want to stay with Ascend, or a different brand if you want to branch out.

The 340SE as rears would be massive overkill since I doubt you'd ever really hear the benefit of the extra woofer unless you listen to music in all-channel stereo mode a lot. But they wouldn't hurt, of course. :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice zorba. Im mostly using this setup 90%+ for home theatre. Based on what youre saying i think i should pick up the ascend stands for my 340se fronts and bring my 170se back to this set up for my rears. What atmos speakers would you guys recommend for this set up? I didnt see any on ascends website.

·
Registered
549 Posts
You already have great speakers, so personally I'd get the stands and get your rears set up.

If you're jonesing to try something new, have some fun and audition speakers from companies with generous return policies. If you want to hear how a high end bookshelf might compare, crutchfield has a flat $10.00 fee for returns.

Are you ceiling mounting the Atmos speakers? Don't overspend. Just find a well reviewed speaker with aimable tweeters. Atmos affects constitute a very small percentage of a given movies soundtrack--personally I'm starting to think the whole thing is overblown. Research Micca speakers.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,044 Posts
What atmos speakers would you guys recommend for this set up? I didnt see any on ascends website.
Depends on if you're doing wall mounted height speakers, on-ceiling, or in-ceiling.

For the first 2, the Ascend 200SE or NHT SuperZeros would be fine.

For the 3rd, the RSL C34e gets a lot of raves around here. But you could spend even less if you wanted; look at the Micca 8" or Polk options on Amazon.

I wouldn't invest much time or money into Atmos speakers personally given how little of the output they actually do, but ymmv.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Keep, and install the 170s.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I drove up to ascend today and picked up the stands and also listed to the seirra 2ex's....man they sounded good!
However i also realize they have them hooked up to an ATI1800 amplifer, a rotel rsp 1066 sound processer, etc and i'm only connected to a denon receiver.

With that being said - if i wanted to make that next step would it be a huge difference to add an amp in conjunction with my denon x4500h? Or is it more complicated than that and i need to have more gear than just the amp?

Thanks again. Love this forum...especially compared to some of the car forums i've been on.

·
Registered
21,471 Posts
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I drove up to ascend today and picked up the stands and also listed to the seirra 2ex's....man they sounded good!
However i also realize they have them hooked up to an ATI1800 amplifer, a rotel rsp 1066 sound processer, etc and i'm only connected to a denon receiver.

With that being said - if i wanted to make that next step would it be a huge difference to add an amp in conjunction with my denon x4500h? Or is it more complicated than that and i need to have more gear than just the amp?

Thanks again. Love this forum...especially compared to some of the car forums i've been on.
I'd think a new center would be the next move as your current one doesn't seem to measure as well as advertised.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/ascend-cmt-340-se-center-channel-speaker-review.11797/

·
Registered
17,044 Posts
I'd think a new center would be the next move as your current one doesn't seem to measure as well as advertised.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/ascend-cmt-340-se-center-channel-speaker-review.11797/
Wow, that "review" is even more useless than the one he did for the CBM-170SE!

I almost sprayed my computer screen with the iced tea I was drinking when I saw the "Estimated In-Room Response" graph which had these words superimposed on it: "Dialogue intelligibility may not be very good." :D :D :D

The 340SE is not a "perfect" speaker by any means, but voice clarity was NEVER lacking in the least during the 3-4 years I owned it.

This is truly another testament to just how completely divorced from the real world this fetishization of measurements can be---unless that guy simply takes them poorly, and/or interprets them poorly.

Reactions: kyzer soze

·
Registered
21,471 Posts
Wow, that "review" is even more useless than the one he did for the CBM-170SE!

I almost sprayed my computer screen with the iced tea I was drinking when I saw the "Estimated In-Room Response" graph which had these words superimposed on it: "Dialogue intelligibility may not be very good." :D :D :D

The 340SE is not a "perfect" speaker by any means, but voice clarity was NEVER lacking in the least during the 3-4 years I owned it.

This is truly another testament to just how completely divorced from the real world this fetishization of measurements can be---unless that guy simply takes them poorly, and/or interprets them poorly.
Just another guy's opinion, with charts!

As you may remember my secondary speakers measured horribly by Sound and Vision and I love them and they oddly measure very well in my actual room.

I bought them unheard based on half msrp pricing and AVS member opinions and am quite happy with them.

My other speakers in my main room measured very well according to Soundstage, but didn't know that when I bought them.

That was before I was active on AVS, but was able to bring floor models home to test against the stand mounters my cats kept knocking over and which presented such a struggle for my "supposedly great" NAD receiver as it would shut down, (unlike the mid price Denon that followed it).

But the OP might look into the Ascend three way center, the Horizon center without RAAL.

·
Registered
17,044 Posts
But the OP might look into the Ascend three way center, the Horizon center without RAAL.
I'm sure it would sound even better and was going to suggest the same thing when I originally read the OP's first post, but he seemed to be happy with what he has now he's going to use the 170SEs for surrounds, so I refrained because I'd feel guilty making him spend $1K if he didn't HAVE to. :)

·
Registered
21,471 Posts
I'm sure it would sound even better and was going to suggest the same thing when I originally read the OP's first post, but he seemed to be happy with what he has now he's going to use the 170SEs for surrounds, so I refrained because I'd feel guilty making him spend $1K if he didn't HAVE to. :)
Well he did noodle replacing the 340s to "step it up" and you were the first to suggest the Horizon for his use which makes complete sense to me as it is mostly HT.

·
Registered
17,044 Posts
Well he did noodle replacing the 340s to "step it up" and you were the first to suggest the Horizon for his use which makes complete sense to me as it is mostly HT.
You're right, I did...tried to do it as lightly as possible, which is probably why I had no recollection of having done so already. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would love to add the horizon to my system but unfortunately its large size would block a portion of the bottom of my tv. Id have to either replace the tv stand or mount the 85" higher. But the 85 is already at the proper level for viewing and thr tv stand is so nice id rather not replace it.

One thing that *might* be possible would be to move my receiver out of the tv stand and put it on top of the stand where my center speaker is now, and then remove the center cabinet shelf and might be able to fit a horizon in there. But it would place the horizon lower than ear level.

·
Registered
21,471 Posts
I would love to add the horizon to my system but unfortunately its large size would block a portion of the bottom of my tv. Id have to either replace the tv stand or mount the 85" higher. But the 85 is already at the proper level for viewing and thr tv stand is so nice id rather not replace it.

One thing that *might* be possible would be to move my receiver out of the tv stand and put it on top of the stand where my center speaker is now, and then remove the center cabinet shelf and might be able to fit a horizon in there. But it would place the horizon lower than ear level.
As you can see my center is lower than the towers but as it is aimed up on a foam wedge towards my ears while seated it works very well.

Since that photo was taken I raised it even further so the top of the speakers front edge almost touches the bottom of the TV stand.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As you can see my center is lower than the towers but as it is aimed up on a foam wedge towards my ears while seated it works very well.

Since that photo was taken I raised it even further so the top of the speakers front edge almost touches the bottom of the TV stand.
Gotcha - so maybe it would be worth it to have the better speaker in a slightly less ideal spot than the worse speaker in the best spot. I need to take some measurements :)

·
Registered
21,471 Posts
Gotcha - so maybe it would be worth it to have the better speaker in a slightly less ideal spot than the worse speaker in the best spot. I need to take some measurements :)
Truth be told my center is so freaking huge that heavy Plasma could sit right on top of it but then the TV would be too high!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts