AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...I need some input here. So about 1.5 years ago I attended an AV123 GTG and was lucky enough to win a pair of X-Statiks. They demoed them at the GTG and I thought they sounded great.

So...based on the fact that I was getting these speakers for free...I decided to get the X-voce and x-omni's to compliment the X-statik's in my 7.2 setup. I also ordered 2 MFW-15's. Well...needless to say, I wanted all speakers in a Diamond black finish, so I've been patiently waiting for them all to be in stock (this didn't happen until last week). Well, I new that the Diamond finishes were a long time away when I ordered and I've been working on my theater room over the last year...so waiting for stock didn't bother me one bit.

I finally get a call about all my speakers being in stock last week. I was excited and I picked the up last Tuesday. Well...I then started doing some reading around the net and of course came upon all the 'crap' surrounding AV123 the last 8 months.

Long story short, I'm now in a dilemma. I have one free pair of x-statiks, plus a really good deal on all the other speakers (x-voce, x-omni's, mfw-15's) sitting in my garage. Should I keep all of them? Return all of them (minus my free x-statik's of course)? Keep some, while returning some??

I kind of designed my whole system around the free pair of x-statik's. I liked the large sound stage of the x-statik's and at the time, AV123 still had a good rep for great speakers for the money and customer service as well. Had I not won the x-statiks, I probably would have went with identical LCR's for my front row behind an AT screen.

Sorry for the long story...I'm just so confused about what to do now. I have 30 days I can return all/some of the speakers. I'm spending a lot of time and money on this HT, and I need it to be as good as I can possibly get.

So the following reasons are why I am now second guessing my speaker plan (the plan I made a year ago):

1. The AV123 crap that has happened since I last researched speakers

2. Worrying about AV123 going under and not being around to uphold warranties

3. Looking into identical vertical LCR speakers behind AT screen

4. Also realizing that placing the x-omni's as surrounds and rears might turn out being harder than I originally thought as my HT room comes together. I could probably still get decent placement on the surrounds, but rears I'm almost positive I'll need wall-mounted dipoles. (Because of this...I'm almost for sure going to return at least one pair of the x-omni's)

5. The MFW was loved by all as probably the best bang for the buck sub. Then it of course starts having all kinds of issues after I take a break away from the forums for a few months

6. Money, free speakers, shady business practices all aside...the biggest thing comes to quality of sound I guess. In general, would you get better sound for 90+% HT use from the large sound-staged x-statik's or better sound from identical vertical LCR's behind AT screen (something like the Emotiva ERM-6.3)?

My HT room will be 18'x18' by the way...

·
Registered
967 Posts
My opinion:

You already have the stuff in house and its going to cost you the same to return regardless of whether they are opened or not. So - try them out, particularly the MFW-15s since return shipping on them will be a bi%$ch. Assuming they have the new amps, and you don't have hum issues (or at least ones you can't resolve with cheater plugs) then I'd seriously consider keeping the subs.

Concerning your other issues, if you need wall mounted surrounds, then yes, might as well return 1 pr of the x-omnis. I've heard positive comments from several people using the Emotiva ERD-1s with AV123 fronts - they might be a good substitution.

I think the biggest question is whether you want to go with 3 identical speakers for the LCR - and again, I think listening to the X-statik / x-voce combo in your room would be a good start. I'd also check with AV123 and see if they have any single X-statiks lying around? If they are all behind a AT screen, the center wouldn't even have to be the same finish...

At the very least I'd use your 30 day window to check out the stuff you purchased - particularly since its going to cost you the same to return either way.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Yea, I'd try them out first since you've waited for a long time. Speakers don't get damaged very often assuming you're using them within limits and they'll probably last more than 10 years so the warranty issue is a moot point. But then again, I don't like dealing with a company that has let down that many customers.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input so far. I will listen to them, but my listening tests won't be perfect because my theater room is still being built. Dry-wall is next...

I think that so far I am leaning towards keeping the x-voce and MFW's for sure. Here is my reasoning...

The x-statiks are free...so i'm obviously keeping those. The x-voce is the center of choice for those two fronts. So I will probably keep it as well.

I'm leaning towards keeping the MFW's...as long as they seem to be working well after I pull them out of the box. They are still a great sub for the money.

The X-omni's...I'm almost for sure sending one pair back because they won't work very well in placement. I'm also leaning towards sending the other pair back as well... I have a heard a few good comments on them, but not enough yet to blindly throw down hard earned money (especially in light of the recent happenings).

Still interested in any more comments and opinions from anyone...please!

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
AV123 speakers can be pretty damn good so if you like them keep them, don't wasting $$$ just because the company MIGHT have problems.

Worrying about company problems should happen before any purchase

x-omni's for surrounds should be okay even if placement isnt great, have you tried them? In the end though there are probably many, many better choices out there for surround duty and maybe you should send the X-omnis back.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/16979057

Worrying about company problems should happen before any purchase

I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately I did all my research too long ago and didn't actively check the online community lately because I've been too busy...then I jumped once my stuff came in stock

Thanks for you opinion penngray...yours goes a long ways with me. I have read many of your posts and respect your opinion and experience a lot!

With your words, I am really just thinking that I should keep all but the x-omni's. Wall mounted surrounds will be much easier to place, and I can still get that 'diffused' open soundstage sound from a quad/dipole speaker from axiom or emotiva or such that will probably match the x-statik's/x-voce pretty well.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I agree with what everyone is saying about opening them up and trying them out. Speakers can last a long time, and AV123 hasn't had any issues with their speakers - it's the electronic components and other things not related to the audio gear.

·
Banned
574 Posts
I mostly agree with the opinions you've received so far. You have the speakers, might as well take them out of the box, connect them, and

crank em up. Don't be swayed by all the negative talk about the company. While there have been problems and many customers have not been treated fairly and i feel for them, a lot of the negativity comes from people who have just jumped on the bandwagon. I hate to read about the problems AV123 has had recently. It's not good for them or their customer base. I have owned many of their products over the years and have never had a problem with the speakers or the company itself.

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
I'll echo what others have said and say try out the center (since it timbre matches your free fronts) and MFW-15. If the MFW-15 starts humming or giving you issues, pack it up and send it away. If the x-voice doesn't provide crisp, clear dialog, return it.

As far as the surrounds, it sounds like they'll be an inconvenience to mount, so go with your gut. If it's telling you to return them, do it. The only important thing here is that you enjoy what you've purchased. If not, don't hesitate to ship it back. AV123's business model has certainly been shady lately, but if you like the products... It's a tough decision. Again, go with your gut, as it is hardly ever wrong (can't say the same about us forum junkies).

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the advice guys! I ended up keeping the front row (x-voce and x-statik's and both MFW-15's). I sent the x-omni's back. It was was not working out to be able to have them far enough away from the wall as they require...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts