AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some thoughts on how to setup the speakers in a workout room. There is a mini HT for TV, movies, music and even to let our kids lie down in the center of the room and watch a movie or play video games. I'm going to mount the TV on the wall on a full motion mount so we can tweak it for kids sitting on the floor or while we are working out. The room shape is not ideal but I'm not looking for a serious HT. The TV is off centered due to the door and there isn't much option on that.

I have been wondering if I can get reasonable audio from some decent bookshelf type speakers mounted to the ceilings or walls with a pair in the front in back as a 4.0 system. I would like to avoid a sub if possible due to the room shape. I can make a sub work if I must though. I also would like to figure out how to get a center channel but with the full motion mount I don't know how that works. I ordered a Sanus XF228 which has an add on to hold a sound bar . I'm not really up on sound bars. Can they double as a center channel?

I also don't know how high or low I should consider mounting the speakers. For movie enjoyment at eye level is ideal, but that isn't very practical since it is a workout room. Will it sound awful if the speakers are mounted high, or will it be just not ideal?

The TV will move from left to right and tilt up and down (but remain stationary vertically). Any calibration I do will not be all that great due to the TV moving which will have the center channel or soundbar mounted to it. Or I can just forgo the center channel.

Has anyone else done this in a workout room with acceptable results?

·
Registered
3,316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottlindner  /t/1521038/speaker-and-audio-thoughts-for-a-workout-room#post_24440681

I'm looking for some thoughts on how to setup the speakers in a workout room. There is a mini HT for TV, movies, music and even to let our kids lie down in the center of the room and watch a movie or play video games. I'm going to mount the TV on the wall on a full motion mount so we can tweak it for kids sitting on the floor or while we are working out. The room shape is not ideal but I'm not looking for a serious HT. The TV is off centered due to the door and there isn't much option on that.

I have been wondering if I can get reasonable audio from some decent bookshelf type speakers mounted to the ceilings or walls with a pair in the front in back as a 4.0 system. I would like to avoid a sub if possible due to the room shape. I can make a sub work if I must though. I also would like to figure out how to get a center channel but with the full motion mount I don't know how that works. I ordered a Sanus XF228 which has an add on to hold a sound bar . I'm not really up on sound bars. Can they double as a center channel?

I also don't know how high or low I should consider mounting the speakers. For movie enjoyment at eye level is ideal, but that isn't very practical since it is a workout room. Will it sound awful if the speakers are mounted high, or will it be just not ideal?

The TV will move from left to right and tilt up and down (but remain stationary vertically). Any calibration I do will not be all that great due to the TV moving which will have the center channel or soundbar mounted to it. Or I can just forgo the center channel.

Has anyone else done this in a workout room with acceptable results?

You could purchase one more of the bookshelf speakers and use it for the center. Or choose not to use a center. If you choose not to, all you are doing is telling the equipment what configuration you have. You will not loose any program material, as the dialog will come from the two fronts. As far as height, the ideal position for the tweeters is at ear height when enjoying a movie, or music. Many people place the speakers high due to furniture etc.. You will have to find somewhere in the middle of all of this, to please the kids as well as the others. Perhaps the tweeters at seated ear level would work well for you, even though sometimes the listeners are on the floor, and sometomes they will be standing. We are going to need more explanation, and or a drawing to discuss the TV location, and the locations for speakers positioned to the left and right of the TV.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I'm not really a fan of soundbars, I believe they're a compromise. But this looks like a situation which warrants compromise. Since your TV mount has a soundbar option this would free up space for exercise/play. Soundbars provide a psuedo-surround experience. Many have options for Bluetooth subs, if needed. I don't follow the technology, but I do know B&W manufactures a soundbar (Panorama, Panorama 2) which has received some good reviews. I'm a fan of B&W and feel they take their products very seriously. I think they would have less noticeable pseudo-surround artifacts than average. Yamaha also has several soundbar options. They were one of the first to promote them. Their design and driver compliments are pretty interesting.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the inputs. You are correct, this is definitely a compromise scenario. Would it be weird to setup a 5.0/5.1 system with a sound bar as the center? Again the reason I ask that is more of the mounting convenience. The reason I do want to preserve the center channel is pretty much for the same reason why people do center channels. I think it is the surround aspects that are going to take the biggest hit in this scenario. What I don't want is sound that is not as full and deep as I would like it. If I do mount speakers on the walls, they might be a bit bigger than normal.

I have a fairly nice Polk RT 5.1 set sitting in the attic from my bachelor days. Think I could mount the mains on the wall? :p Yah, that would look ridiculous.

I will try to draw up a diagram of the room and point out some of the trouble spots. I think one of the things I should explain better is my desired outcomes. I know the surround experience will take a hit and I accept that. What I will not accept is cheap sounding audio. I guess music is more important to me than the TV/movie aspect.

·
Registered
865 Posts
It would be weird. Since a soundbar simulates all five surround sound channels, I think it would conflict and produce some pretty nasty artifacts. The Polk RT should be just fine for this. The sats are small enough and it has a sub for the full sound you're looking for. You may still be able to utilize the mounting feature of the TV by making an adapter to match the smaller RT center speaker to the bracket. I'm not sure if Polk have foam surrounds, but if it's been put away for some time you may want to check for foam rot on the surrounds of the speakers

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I pulled the Polks out of the attic. I forgot how big they were. The front channels are RT16 so there is no way those are being mounted on the wall since they are 4ft tall, and the center channel is a CS350 which is too massive for the mounting bracket for the TV mount. Oh well. I will just set the center on a shelf sorta close to TV "center" and call it a day. I was thinking of buying new speakers to mount on the walls to get more floor space but I decided to be lazy and use what I already had even though it isn't optimal for my objectives.

I'm still going to put smaller speakers in there some day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts