AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I am newbee. Recently i bought Denon DRA210 stereo amplifier (seperate system 50 WPC 8 Ohm 20Hz - 20kHz accoring to the manual). That has 8 terminal out for speakers. Impedence indicates A or B 6~10 Ohm and A+B 12~16 Ohm (this i cannot undestand at all). it has one pre out (i am assuming it's for subwoofer) L and R. what speaker configuration you suggest?. I had look 4 Ohm 80 Watts speaker pair and 8 Ohm 100 Watts speaker pair. both are Monitor Audio. both are sounding good in the studio. which one ideal for my configuration without any damage to either amp or speakers or what speaker configuration you would suggest? what subwoofer i should look for(Mono/Stereo)?.

Many thanks,,.

Ben

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
The Monitor Audio speakers should work fine, IF they are rated 6 ohms or higher.

The spec for A and B is telling you that IF you are going to drive two sets of speakers at once (A and B), that both sets of speakers need to be 12 ohms or higher (because they will be in parallel, which is a 6 ohm load).

My advice is to NEVER run two sets of speakers with that amplifier. Just use one pair only.

The amplifier spec also says that the ONE set of speakers must be between 6 and 10 ohms, so DO NOT USE 4 OHM SPEAKERS!!!!

There are NO stereo subwoofers. Subwoofers have their own amplifier built-in, so they can just be connected to the pre out jack.

I suggest the Monitor Audio BXW10 subwoofer. Set its frequency rolloff knob to around 60 Hz (9 O'clock position).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bndck  /t/1522489/speaker-and-subwoofer-combination-for-stereo-amp-advice-please#post_24480861

I am newbee. Recently i bought Denon DRA210 stereo amplifier (seperate system 50 WPC 8 Ohm 20Hz - 20kHz accoring to the manual). That has 8 terminal out for speakers. Impedence indicates A or B 6~10 Ohm and A+B 12~16 Ohm (this i cannot undestand at all). it has one pre out (i am assuming it's for subwoofer) L and R. what speaker configuration you suggest?. I had look 4 Ohm 80 Watts speaker pair and 8 Ohm 100 Watts speaker pair. both are Monitor Audio. both are sounding good in the studio. which one ideal for my configuration without any damage to either amp or speakers or what speaker configuration you would suggest? what subwoofer i should look for(Mono/Stereo)?.

Many thanks,,.

Ben

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I haven't been able to find any specs or manual for the DRA210.

Does it have any kind of bass management (i.e. does it send full range to the speakers or is there a high pass filter applied)?

If it doesn't (which it probably doesn't), then you may want to consider some sealed bookshelves so that their natural roll-off will give you the best integration with a sub.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman  /t/1522489/speaker-and-subwoofer-combination-for-stereo-amp-advice-please#post_24485656

The owner's manual for the DRA210 Receiver is available online. ( www2.aerne.com )

The specs on the amplifier are very vague; it just says 50 watts per channel.

There is no "bass management".

The Monitor Audio subwoofer has a frequency limit control which can be set for 40 or 50 or 60 Hz for bass integration.

Pretty much all subs have a low pass filter, that is not the issue.

The issue is having the mains integrate if they are receiving full range signals.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
ALL main speakers have a natural LF rolloff, so IMO it is a non-issue.

You just need to limit the subwoofer range to minimize overlap.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman  /t/1522489/speaker-and-subwoofer-combination-for-stereo-amp-advice-please#post_24485691

ALL main speakers have a natural LF rolloff, so IMO it is a non-issue.

You just need to limit the subwoofer range to minimize overlap.

As has been pointed out by speaker designers (i.e. people more knowledgeable than either you or I) in other threads, sealed speakers have a better roll-off for integrating with subs in systems without bass management.

But yes, one would get to love whatever choices they make

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
A "sealed speaker" does not have a different or "better" rolloff than other designs. That one thing is only one variable among many that affect the LF rolloff slope.

The LF rolloff slope of a speaker system depends on the actual design of the LF driver, and the shape, baffling, damping, porting and size of the enclosure.

The LF slope of the speaker system can be fairly steep or not very steep, depending on how those variables are designed; regardless of whether the system is sealed or ported.

Any "speaker designer" that ever made a global statement of that nature would be too ignorant to design one properly. No competent speaker designer would ever say anything that ridiculous.

For just one example of a sealed speaker that has a gradual LF rollof, look at the frequency response of the NHT Classic 3 speaker (published in the Stereophile review of the speaker).

There are many ported speakers that have a much steeper LF rolloff, and also many that have more gradual slopes.

BTW- If you are going to allege that you are quoting "experts", please give us some exact direct quotes along with the names and qualifications of the experts. Making general "experts say..." claims is nothing but BS that is unverifiable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240  /t/1522489/speaker-and-subwoofer-combination-for-stereo-amp-advice-please#post_24485739

As has been pointed out by speaker designers (i.e. people more knowledgeable than either you or I) in other threads, sealed speakers have a better roll-off for integrating with subs in systems without bass management.

But yes, one would get to love whatever choices they make

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Yes, there are exceptions to every general rule. Some sealed speakers may have a slower rolloff, and some ported speakers may have a faster one.

But when one asks for advice as the OP did, a general rule can be quite useful. But your point is taken, so...

Bndck, since your receiver amp has no bass management be sure to sure speakers with a steep rolloff in the vicinity of where you plan to cross-over to your sub. More often than not this will be with a sealed design.

As to searching the site for specific quotes from threads over the past several years, I have no desire at all to do that. You learn over time whose opinions you can trust and add those gems as part of your own knowledge base.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts