AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I walk into a showroom with these 4 foot tall, 80 lb floorstanders. There's 5 drivers, with 3 of those being 7" bass. In my mind, this thing outa be rattling glass when paired to a 140 wpc amp in a modestly sized room.

The high end is incredible, but where's the bass this speaker should be producing? My lack of auditioning experience: I look at the AVR for those knobs labeled bass/treble. They don't exist on the front panel anymore.

Gotta ask the employee to connect up a sub. That's better, now I can feel a little bass. But I'm still thinking why is a sub need for a floorstander of this size and price. I'm assuming the settings are flat.

I can't understand why a shop would not have these speakers setup to exploit all it's capabilities, and not just the high end which is there by default.

What am I missing?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddelts /forum/post/19608206

7" inch drivers are not exactly bass monsters.

From this comment, it's assumed that if you want any bass, you need a sub.

If that's the case, why spend 3500 on floorstanders (plus a sub), when a bookshelf and sub can do the same thing for considerably less.

I'm gonna ask if you'll elaborate on your comment.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Bass should not be a focal point unless it truly is overpowering in the source material. Anything else is an unrealistic presentation. You can always EQ up

With that said, Kal Rubinson nailed it. One thing I'd add is that they may have skimped on the baffle step compensation. You must always level match when integrating with a sub. If the sub is being run how that will result in yet another unrealistic presentation.

FWIW, my floorstanders only have extention down to 50hz, and while the bass is never "chest thumping" it's very much there.

One other possibility, which harkens back to dealer incompetence, is an amplifier uncapable of dynamic bass peaks and low impedance loads which may be presented by the speaker. some dealers are so intent on pushing garbage like 30w tube amps.

Quote:
If that's the case, why spend 3500 on floorstanders (plus a sub), when a bookshelf and sub can do the same thing for considerably less.

Integration. Dynamic capability. midrange clarity.

Let's use 80hz as our ideal subwoofer crossover point, although it truly varies.

Speaker A has two drivers, a woofer which operates from ~60hz - ~5000hz, and a tweeter which operates from ~1000hz-18000hz

Speaker B has four drivers, a woofer which operates from ~40hz-~500hz, a woofer which operates from ~40hz-~1200hz, a midrange which operates from ~600hz-9000hz, and a tweeter which operates from ~4000hz-~20000hz

We will cross both speakers off at 80hz. now why would you choose speaker B over Speaker A? Simple. The tweeter and midrange have less stress placed on them to operate in a wider range of octaves. i didn't actually count any octaves or anything and those operating ranges are pretty much arbritrary but I hope you get my point. What most perceive as bass is in the 100hz-300hz range, if you think about it. this is into a subwoofer's localization range, and yet it's into many midrange drivers' higher distortion range. A midbass driver or two will give you the opportunity to go loudest in this region with clarity.

The bass may not stand out as anything special, but that's becuase it's not anything special. Bass is one aspect of the audible spectrum. You can't overemphasize it just because you're capable.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike66 /forum/post/0

Don't. Floor-standers are, as a group, overrated. Some at the high end are properly full range (and sufficiently braced) but few.

I am almost always going to run a sub, and so usually gain little with a floor speaker over a well chosen bookshelf.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found several threads that address the "bookshelf vs floorstander" debate.

Still doesn't answer why a shop plays "flat" a large floorstander, unless they purposely want you to look at a sub.

I never said I was an expert.

Thanks for all the responses.

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.