AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of planning how to set up my HT now that my wife has requested I do some sound isolation/soundproofing on the room (darn!
)...

I am curious how you guys have your "sound distribution" set up. I think I am on the right track, but I wanted to get some input.

I have an area that is currently built-in shelving (35" wide x 17.5" deep x floor to ceiling) that I am planning to make into my AV rack.

I was going to use this wall plate to distribute my audio:

2 Gang 7.2 Surround Sound Plate - I currently only have 2 sub, but I want to put a plug for a sub in the front left of the room and the back right of the room in case I decide to change things up. I figure that I can split off each of those plates for multiple subs if that ever becomes an option as well.

Do most of you use speaker wall plates at your wall mounted surround locations, or do you just run the wire out of the wall? I saw a suggestion of running wire from a plate with a hole in it too.

For the video I was going to pick up a HDMI plate and modify it slightly to add a F connection to the same plate for my incoming digital cable.

For your projectors do you run your HDMI cable to a plate, then run a separate cable from the projector to the plate, or do you just run your HDMI cable right to the projector?

Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated!

theaterroom.pdf 208.6005859375k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTAaron /forum/post/19507664

Do most of you use speaker wall plates at your wall mounted surround locations, or do you just run the wire out of the wall? I saw a suggestion of running wire from a plate with a hole in it too.

I wanted to put a wall plate with 5-way binding posts by my surround speakers (because I like the clean, professional look of them), but I didn't have enough clearance behind the speakers, so I just poked a hole in the drywall. I haven't mounted my speakers yet, but I'll probably leave it like thisn - no need to clean it up with a wall plate if no one can seen it. There is some school of thought to reduce the # of connections as much as possible, so the wire through the drywall would achieve that, too.

(sorry, this is the best pic that I have)

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input and picture! That is what I was thinking of doing because I was wondering about clearance behind the speakers as well.

I guess starting out with it that way leaves the option to add a plate after the fact too...

·
Registered
190 Posts
The less junction points the better off you are. Not only that but the plate you pictured won't cover everything. What about connections out to display, cable/sat/antenna, control wire, multi-room a/v, data, phone etc. Lastly it is far less expensive to not have termination wallplates. For these reasons we always use bulk wire plates.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by iimig /forum/post/0

The less junction points the better off you are. Not only that but the plate you pictured won't cover everything. What about connections out to display, cable/sat/antenna, control wire, multi-room a/v, data, phone etc. Lastly it is far less expensive to not have termination wallplates. For these reasons we always use bulk wire plates.

I was going to do a keystone plate with HDMI, cable, network, and multiroom.

I looked at the bulk wire plates too... The plate seemed more organized and cleaner - but if that is not the recommended method then I will go with what works best for most people.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts