AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the AVIA guide to home theatre DVD and I am trying to use there speaker balanceing test tones. I am wondering what is the proper way of balanceing your speakers? The way I am doing it now is.....

I set all my speaker levels to zero in my receiver.

I set my receivers volume to my normal listening level which is a volume of 60 -65 on my Onkyo receiver.

I set my SPL meter to 70 on slow with a C weighting.

I start the test tones on the dvd and turn the speaker levels up in the receiver until the meter reads 75db.

Is this right? Just seems like my speaker level settings in my receiver have to be cranked up alot more usin AVIA than it does when I use the receivers internal pink noise?

Should I maybe start with my speaker levels at zero and and turn up my listening volume maybe to 70 and adjust from there? I usually use the internal pink noise which tests at a volume of 83?

Any tips or suggestions for a true speaker balance would be highly appreciated.

Thanks alot

· Registered
3,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kidfox4u

I set all my speaker levels to zero in my receiver.

I set my receivers volume to my normal listening level which is a volume of 60 -65 on my Onkyo receiver.

I set my SPL meter to 70 on slow with a C weighting.

I start the test tones on the dvd and turn the speaker levels up in the receiver until the meter reads 75db.

most of it is correct.

though turn the volume up for the left front speaker until it reaches 75 on the meter then go thru each channel at that volume and either increase/decrease the speaker level for each speaker.

· Registered
750 Posts
THere are instructions on the Avia disc in the main speaker test section. I don't have it here, but if I recall correctly, you turn all speaker settings to zero, then using the left front tone you turn up the volume till it reaches 85 dB (I believe the Avia uses 85, not 75, but check the disc instructions). Then you go through each speaker (there is a separate tone for each speaker) and change the settings so that the meter reads 85 dB. You should put the SPL meter on a tripod if possible so it reads accurately and is not affected by moving it around.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.