AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a speaker brand that you feel offers a good value compared to its sound quality?

In my research I have found speakers are priced all over the place and you can not base sound quality on price. You also have to expect diminishing returns as you price higher end speakers, a $500 set of bookshelves may sound twice as good as a $250 where as a $1000 set of bookshelves may only be marginal better than a $500.

What speaker brand do you think hits the sweet spot with price verses performance?

·
Registered
3,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer1 /forum/post/18315994

What speaker brand do you think hits the sweet spot with price verses performance?

There are tons, but I find ID brands offer a lot of bang-for-buck. Ascend, Axiom, and Aperion for example.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Insignia bookshelf speakers from Best Buy. One of the best values you can get for 80 dollars. No way a 800 dollar speaker can be 10x better. Back when they were 40$, that was a definite steal so no 800 dollar speaker can be 20x better back then.

There you have it, best price vs performance.

·
Registered
219 Posts
My two favorites are :

NHT - Which is what I own.

Paradigm - Purchased for my sister; very pleased.

P.S. NHT can be hard to find. Go online through ebay and Audiogon for some killer deals.

Regards,

Brian

·
Registered
2,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antibayi /forum/post/18316065

My two favorites are :

NHT - Which is what I own.

Paradigm - Purchased for my sister; very pleased.

P.S. NHT can be hard to find. Go online through ebay and Audiogon for some killer deals.

Regards,

Brian

NHT is easy to find and cheaper than ever now that they are selling online at NHTHIFI.COM. They just came out with floorstanding speakers. era monitors are a great value, their floorstanders not so much.

I would consider all of the mainstream midfi type speakers to be great value: B&W, Revel, Paradigm, PSB, Dali, KEF, Wharfedale, etc. all have great sounding speakers under $1,500 per pair. Infinity, Energy, and Polk have decent stuff but IMO don't get you to diminishing returns with their current lines.

Ron

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PSB was one I had in mind when starting this thread, very popular sound with modest pricing.

Insignia does offer decent sound for the dollar but I think spending more is easily justified.

I have yet to audition Energy but from the many reviews I have read they are kind of "vanilla" in their respective price range. Compared to other equally priced speakers they do not excel at any thing.

·
Registered
Revel M22 & C32, JBL P520WS, Revel W563 & Infinity ERS 110II, SVS SB-2000 (x2), Anthem MRX 720
750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer1 /forum/post/18316424

I have yet to audition Energy but from the many reviews I have read they are kind of "vanilla" in their respective price range. Compared to other equally priced speakers they do not excel at any thing.

That is really a compliment to their neutrality!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I really like these guys

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The theme of my thread may have been misunderstood. I am not looking for cheap speakers so much as I am speakers that offer great performance for their respective price point.

If a X speaker brand offers a pair of bookshelves for $1000 and they vastly surpass others brands at this price point they would fall under the value for performance category.

I have made the mistake of purchasing based largely on cost and this is a great way to end up with lackluster sound quality.

·
Premium Member
26,229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer1 /forum/post/18316657

The theme of my thread may have been misunderstood. I am not looking for cheap speakers so much as I am speakers that offer great performance for their respective price point.

If a X speaker brand offers a pair of bookshelves for $1000 and they vastly surpass others brands at this price point they would fall under the value for performance category.

I have made the mistake of purchasing based largely on cost and this is a great way to end up with lackluster sound quality.

You might be better to establish MSRP price points. Speakers under $500. From $500-1,000/pair, etc etc.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster /forum/post/18316699

You might be better to establish MSRP price points. Speakers under $500. From $500-1,000/pair, etc etc.

Okay, good idea.

Price point of less $600 for pair, who makes the short list. What three speaker companies have said.... "The heck with high end elitist that have to spend huge bucks to have great sound quality we are going to make a great sounding speaker for the people!".....and have succeeded.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer1 /forum/post/18316817

Okay, good idea.

Price point of less $600 for pair, who makes the short list. What three speaker companies have said.... "The heck with high end elitist that have to spend huge bucks to have great sound quality we are going to make a great sounding speaker for the people!".....and have succeeded.

era D4, Revel M12, PSB B6, B&W 685.

Ron

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Leggs /forum/post/18317189

Sony's SS series.. comes in mind so does BIC acoustech's line of speakers

You know I heard some Sony bookshelves that really surprised me, I had always thought Sony only made speakers as to have something to "throw in" with their other electronics. Although a good buy, as with Insignia, I think spending a little more would be justified.

I am kind off surprised the I.D. companies have not been better represented in this thread. They have always been known as "cost effective", so how about it SVS, HSU, Ed, Ascend, and others I.D. owners, did you get the most for your buck?

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
The Paradigm Atom Monitors are the best production speakers I have heard to date at under $300. Paired with a good sub, it makes an amazing budget 2.1 setup. The entire monitor line offers excellent price to performance.

I also think the Studio 20's are hard to beat. Some of my all time favorite production speakers in its price range.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts