AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a pair of speakers today and was told the break in period was 48 consecutive hours. Does this really mean leaving them on for two days to break them in? Can I damage them if I don't respect the break in period of time?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
48 hours of break in time means 48 hours of play time, but it doesn't have to be uninterrupted, you could play them for 1 hour a day for 48 days and that would be just as good as leaving them on for two days continuously. I often times tell folks to just leave them on at a low to moderate volume while they are at work to get them broken in quicker.

The risk of damaging them is no greater during the break in period than it is once they are broken in.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
It doesn't have to be consecutive. Just listen to them, and the hours will accumulate.

It is perfectly safe to use them without breaking them in.

If you need to decide if you want to keep them or not quickly, it might be worth running them for a while unattended to get through the break-in. Make them face each other and hook up one backwards (i.e. reverse the polarity) if you need to keep the noise down in the surrounding area. You can throw a towel or blanket over them to further muffle the sound.

FYI -- there is some debate about how "real" speaker break-in is. Some folks claim huge differences in sound, which seems a bit over the top to me. Speakers are mechanical devices, so it does make sense that some use would affect the flexibility of the surrounds, etc. But whether those changes are audible or not is not clear. And I bet the amount of break-in and the significance would vary from speaker model to model since the driver construction varies. I have also read many times, and I think it makes sense, that a lot of the perceived effect of "speaker break-in" is due to the listener getting used the sound of a new speaker, rather than an objective change in the sound.

-Max

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
If you have a few months to spare, do a search in this forum on "break-in" or the hipster term "burn-in." Go make a sammitch and grab a Dr. Pepper, because you're going to be doing a lot of reading.

As usual, Max has a nice, measured, pragmatic response. My view is a speaker will sound 99% of what it will ultimately sound like after 30 minutes of vigorous playing. Many people think break-in has to be done every time you fire a system up (for maybe 5 minutes), and I believe temperature and humidity of the room make an even bigger difference. In any event, after a half hour, the differences are miniscule, and acoustical treatments will make a far, far greater difference.

And there is no reliability or long-term performance issue with break-in of a speaker, as there is with an automobile. The suggested break-in period of 500 miles for my '08 car was expressly for break-in of the differential; not the engine...although the car continued to run better up until it had 7,000 miles...(coinciding with the purchase of the 2nd set of rear tires.) Speakers have no metal-on-metal movement to "break-in."

·
Premium Member
14,050 Posts
Yeah, only speaker *cables* need to be broken in. Speakers... not so much.

Craig

j/k of course!!!

·
Registered
896 Posts
Speaker break-in is absolutely essential. Last thing you want to do is damage the Canipulator Pin

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli /forum/post/17035647

If you have a few months to spare, do a search in this forum on "break-in" or the hipster term "burn-in." Go make a sammitch and grab a Dr. Pepper, because you're going to be doing a lot of reading.

As usual, Max has a nice, measured, pragmatic response. My view is a speaker will sound 99% of what it will ultimately sound like after 30 minutes of vigorous playing. Many people think break-in has to be done every time you fire a system up (for maybe 5 minutes), and I believe temperature and humidity of the room make an even bigger difference. In any event, after a half hour, the differences are miniscule, and acoustical treatments will make a far, far greater difference.

And there is no reliability or long-term performance issue with break-in of a speaker, as there is with an automobile. The suggested break-in period of 500 miles for my '08 car was expressly for break-in of the differential; not the engine...although the car continued to run better up until it had 7,000 miles...(coinciding with the purchase of the 2nd set of rear tires.) Speakers have no metal-on-metal movement to "break-in."

Listen to Mr Scarpelli, he knows what he is talking about! Ignore the rest of the wannabes

btw, I created the thread a little while ago...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...114&highlight=

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
This is a topic that you either believe in, or don't. There is a lot of debate on it. I do believe in speaker break in. I have taken the time to break in all of my speakers. Depending on how well you hear. You can usually hear a difference in mid bass and low bass frequencies before and after break in. If the manufacturer recommends a break in than why question there request? I would do a break in even if the manufacturer didn't ask for it in the instructions. Just like breaking in engines properly often results in a product that will perform better through out its life. An engine may produce more power and its internal parts will mate together better. A speakers sound may also be effected by this break in. The parts need to be moved over a period of time, and not over worked for a period of time to allow break in.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel /forum/post/17042630

This is a topic that you either believe in, or don't. There is a lot of debate on it. I do believe in speaker break in. I have taken the time to break in all of my speakers. Depending on how well you hear. You can usually hear a difference in mid bass and low bass frequencies before and after break in. If the manufacturer recommends a break in than why question there request? I would do a break in even if the manufacturer didn't ask for it in the instructions. Just like breaking in engines properly often results in a product that will perform better through out its life. An engine may produce more power and its internal parts will mate together better. A speakers sound may also be effected by this break in. The parts need to be moved over a period of time, and not over worked for a period of time to allow break in.

I've "broke in" an engine before, but never a speaker. What moving parts in a speaker need "broken in"?

·
Registered
7,713 Posts
Usually loudspeaker “burn- in” (I am a hipster wannabe) recommendations are based upon the manufacturers return policy. It is a hedge bet against buyer’s remorse.

·
Registered
22,494 Posts
Many of the better speakers use heavy rubber surrounds on all drivers. these do take some time to "loosen up" to where the speaker is sounding like it will for the remainder of it's life. You can call this "break-in" or not, but it's real. 20-30 hours at moderate listening levels should do the job. Anyone who has ever replaced the foam or rubber surrounds on woofers has been aware of this.

That said, there is of course and will always be discussion about break-in of the crossover components. Whether that does or does not occur, it likely has far less impact on what you hear. I would expect that only the extreme top of the speaker food chain is capable of resolving any such differences of this type.

·
Registered
15,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 /forum/post/17042813

I've "broke in" an engine before, but never a speaker. What moving parts in a speaker need "broken in"?

The spider needs to 'crack' and depending how the speaker was stored, things my need to get re-centered. Doesn't take long though.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai /forum/post/17044259

The spider needs to 'crack' and depending how the speaker was stored, things my need to get re-centered. Doesn't take long though.

okay, I've been breaking in spkrs.

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
Here's something to play with while your speakers are breaking in. And don't forget to change the woofer oil at 100 hours...

·
Registered
469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli /forum/post/17045885

And don't forget to change the woofer oil at 100 hours...

What about replacing the beryllium in my tweeters?

I was told every 300-400 hours for optimum efficiency.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
This is a topic that you either believe in, or don't.

Not really! you either understand audio science or you dont

It may be a faith thing with you but many of us like to educate ourselves on audio before we believe manufacture BS.

·
Registered
576 Posts
"Not really! you either understand audio science or you dont"

This is a topic on which the length and breadth of opinion is unending.

Having quite recently purchased a pair of Cambridge Audio S30's, I will say this:
If you want evidence of "break-in", buy a pair. They're inexpensive and quite impressive...after you break them in. Prior to letting them run undisturbed for 36 hours, the bass was very muddy and loose. While not accurate now, the difference is amazing. I won't say it will ever be good, but it is much tighter, much cleaner.

One theory is that "you get used to them and they sound better." I didn't listen longer than it took to walk in and out of the room or change a CD. They ran at a very moderate volume most of the time, though I cranked them up 2 or 3 times for short passages. If I was in the room I could hear them. Out of the room, no.

I BELIEVE!!!!

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
someone must have some before and after fr plots
penn--have you done this? I would imagine you have some science for us here! having focals they recommend a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOng break in time--i wish i had the gear to have measured myself to back up one side or the other here.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.