AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Axioms due to arrive today.... arranging audition of Paradigms...

re: speaker break in period.. anybody have a theory on the best way to excerise these speakers before I judge them?

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Yeah, hook 'em up and play them.

If any component could possibly have a break-in period, speakers would be it, being components with moving parts, and most people believe that break-in is bunk, perpetuated by the manufacturers, to make people keep their speakers until they get used to them.

If 'excercising' speakers makes an audible difference, then the sound should change throughout the life of the speaker. I don't know about you, but I'd like my speakers to remian sounding the same while they live with me. In any case, just listen to them and enjoy.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Best way to exercise speakers-

Hook them up on opposite phases (ie- left speaker with pos to pos and neg to neg, right speaker with neg to pos and pos to neg), point them at each other, turn on some radio or music or white noise or whatever and leave them alone in a room for 3 days. The quality of the sound will dramtically improve.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Oy vey!

·
Registered
337 Posts
In my experience, speaker break-in can take an easy 300 hours of use and some planar speakers are reckoned at MUCH longer times.

If the out of phase p[ossibility doesn't work for you for whatever reason, leave a CD/DVD/LP/radio station on all day while you are out, play stuff all evening and turn the volume down somewhat and leave talk radio on all night.

I would say, do this for at least 2 weeks.

I understand some people don't hear a difference, but I cannot understand how this happens; the differences are HUGe in my experience.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I have read that JBL states that it takes up to two hours to break in their pro speakers. Beyond that point, the listener's ears and brain are breaking in IMO.

Bill

·
Registered
5 Posts
B&W says at least 15 hours for their speakers. I recently just purchased the CDM 7NT and the frist days I thgouht the sound was excellent..as the days and hours acumulate, I feel the speakers sound different. Not good or bad, but just different...ok maybe on the bad side. Or it could just be me falling for the "break-in" period hype.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Lummus
Best way to exercise speakers-

Hook them up on opposite phases (ie- left speaker with pos to pos and neg to neg, right speaker with neg to pos and pos to neg), point them at each other, turn on some radio or music or white noise or whatever and leave them alone in a room for 3 days. The quality of the sound will dramtically improve.
Quote:
Originally posted by Larry Fine
Oy vey!
I think this is very interesting. Assuming you actually do want to break in a new pair of speakers, I think it should be at a fairly high volume so that it causes significant diaphragm excursion in order to "break in" the material. I doubt many people want 90db + of racket for hours in their home, so by inverting the polarity you can cancel out a great deal of the audio. That way it won't be so annoyingly loud.

The other thought I've had on this is again, if you want to "break in" speakers, why wouldn't you use looped white noise off of test CDs that are available. The white noise would provide a broad range uniform spectrum that would apply energy more or less equally across each of the drivers.

Something to think about anyway.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
SH, I would think that 'pink noise', which is more bass-heavy because of the spectral distribution, would be a better choice. I still think that the "you can't listen during the 'break-in' period" thought is silly. Just use your system normally – if the sound "improves", great; if not, great, too.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Real question is:

Do speakers really really need to brake in? ;) I have my doubts, I think that our ears change a lot more than our speakers...

·
Registered
568 Posts
I'm not sure about speakers, but I'm positive that tubes break in. I just bought my first *new* tube amplifier, and wow it's different after a while. I've got other tube amps, but they've all been purchased used and for the most part haven't been retubed.

I'm not so sure about cables, either - I haven't noticed changes in them myself.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I'm convinced that speakers break in over quite long periods, with changes after a month or 3 months of heavy use still perceivable.

But whether I am right or wrong.... just USE the things.

You bought them for music/movies and should just go for it.

If you want to leave the system running for a couple of weeks, that's what I would do, but if that doesn't fit your life, well OK maybe it will take longer, but do use them and enjoy them.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I tested a pair of woofers once (Peerless 830500), measuring them over time to determine if any characteristics changed during supposed break-in. During the first half hour there was a slight change, but not after that. Different speakers may of course produce different results.

John

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
In the current AudioCritic, Tom Nusaine has an essay on the overall concept of "break-in" for audio gear, including speakers.

IIRC, he said that, while there is is some basis in fact for breaking in a speaker, the sound does not really change.

As for breaking in other stuff, while, lets just say his column is titled "Audio Urban Legends", and leave it at that.

I will say that my two tubed guitar amps do sound better after they have been on for about 20 minutes of so, not that this has anything to do with anything.

BGL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.