AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My final speaker choice is not final but I am brainstorming ideas on how to integrate speakers into my theater design. I do not want freestanding speakers given my kids habits. Does anyone have ideas or links to pictures where both floorstanders and bookshelfs are built-in behind speaker fabric. e.g. I will be building-in a RPTV into the wall and can do the same with speakers, but I am concerned over sound quality.

Also, I am thinking if I use floor standers in the rear, to build them into the corners with fabric hiding/protecting the speakers, but I have concerns over sound with that also. Bookshelves I can just mount higher.

Ideas or pics?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
smithsonga,

In my original HT I did just that. I had, and still do, a 60" Hitachi RPTV built into a false wall. I also had "cubby holes" just a couple inches larger than my speakers built into the same wall. These were finished in drywall and painted, so that if I chose to remove the speakers...I could use the holes for displaying knic-knacs. When I put the speakers in their holes, I made small wooded frames and covered them with sheer fabric that complimented our room's colors. These frames fit perfectly into the speaker hole and mounted flush with the wall. My B&W 602's did not suffer any noticeable ill effect that my ears could notice.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
The main problem with building in speakers designed for freestanding use is that you will get some low-frequency emphasis, starting in the voice range, because of boundary-reinforcement effects. Some companies (e.g., Revel, Infinity, NHT) make some speakers with proximity switches to deal with this, but most don't.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.