AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My final speaker choice is not final but I am brainstorming ideas on how to integrate speakers into my theater design. I do not want freestanding speakers given my kids habits. Does anyone have ideas or links to pictures where both floorstanders and bookshelfs are built-in behind speaker fabric. e.g. I will be building-in a RPTV into the wall and can do the same with speakers, but I am concerned over sound quality.

Also, I am thinking if I use floor standers in the rear, to build them into the corners with fabric hiding/protecting the speakers, but I have concerns over sound with that also. Bookshelves I can just mount higher.

Ideas or pics?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
You can mount bookshelf speakers in wall pockets, but you should mount them so the fronts are flush with the surface of the wall. Also, the pocket shouldn't be any wider or taller than it has to be. However, the pocket can be as deep as you want. Last but not least, mount so that tweeters are at listeners ear level or aimed to ear level. For grills you can purchase grill cloth or get some perforated metal.

Jon

·
Registered
516 Posts
I would recommend in-walls or on-walls. Triad makes some nice in-walls that include an MDF box to keep sound from traveling to the adjacent rooms.

Other options for in-walls are Atlantic, NHT, and Boston. I'm sure there are others, but those are the ones I considered.

You can buy Triad Bronze in-wall LCR's for $300-$400/ea new. Same for their dipole surrounds. Or watch ebay for decent buys on used ones. (A pair of on-wall Gold surrounds went for $400 the other day.)

Sam

·
Registered
164 Posts
I went through the same thing and decided to build columns that would house a Paradigm PW2200 subwoofer on the bottom and Studio 40's on the top. I used 1/2" particle board and 2X4's and built a cavity for my subwoofer to sit in and another one for the 40's. I used liquid nails and screws to secure them together. Then they are secured to my front riser again with liquid nails and screws. They are not connected to the ceiling to minimize vibrations from traveling upstairs.

I built frames out to 2X2 lumber and covered them with GoM 701 fabric to for the front and side of the subwoofer cavity. I used sheetrock screws with screw covers to secure the covered frame over the cavity.

I wanted the speaker cavity to have a little dimension, rather than just square so I built them to have three sides. The speaker slides into the center of the column and built another 2X2 frame covered with fabric that slides into the opening for easy removal. The two side panels are just the column framing wrapped in fabric.

I finished off the columns with quarter round wrapped in fabric. I increased the brightness and decreased the contrast so you could make out the picture better.

Picture of finished column.

Darren

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Darren, that is exactly what I was talking about. I do not want to use in-walls.

Now, how do they sound in these columns vs. free standing?

Jim

·
Premium Member
8,712 Posts
If you install in-room or 'bookshelf' speakers into any form of cabinet, you will change the frequency response of the speakers...most of the time horribly. You will have to acoustically treat the cabinets and cabinet surfaces to reduce this problem. High quality in-wall speakers generally do not have this problem (although, one can muck this up as well) since they have been designed specifically to be installed against a boundary.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Jim,

There is not a notable difference between the two, as far as I'm concerned. The GoM 701 fabric is sold as being acoustically transparent. Some audiophiles may notice a difference, but I can't tell. Beyond the fabric nothing is blocking the path between the speakers and the listener.

Here's a picture with the panel removed showing the speaker.

I designed the column so the tweeter would be at ear level for the listeners. I lined the inside of the columns with Ductliner to absorb reflections.

Darren

·
Registered
164 Posts
Dennis,

The way I built my columns the only boundaries are the two walls(front and side), beyond the 2X4 framing. Would this affect the frequency response of my speakers?

Thanks,

Darren

·
Premium Member
8,712 Posts
Darren:

Potentially, yes. Each speaker design falls into boundary effects at different distances. This is also a function of the speaker's cabinet design. In your case, the effect would possibly be less apparent than the same speaker placed flush with the surface of a cabinet or wall.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You should also check out Snell Acoustics , they make in-walls with their own enclosure (like Triads) and in-room speakers that have crossovers customized for near boundary installs (in cabinets, etc.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.