AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in buying a decent 5.1 set up for my den over the next couple weeks, nothing crazy just somthing better than my ancient sony HTiB. It's primary use would be for watching Blu-ray movies(PS3), followed by gaming (xbox360) and lastly music & hd cable. The part of the room dedicated to the surround system would be about 15x12. Starting out my budget is about $650 I want to use that to get the L,R,C and a receiver. After that in the next week or two I'll buy the SL,SR, and a Sub for around $300-$350. I would like tower speakers for the L&R if possible, alot of people of the forum say that Polk Audio is good, I was looking at the moniter 50's and 60's would these suit my needs? If so what Center should i get along with what Receiver to power them(and eventually what surrounds and sub)? I'm new to this so all suggestions are appreciated. With my budget and needs what system could I build to give me the best bang for my buck? Thanks alot!

·
Registered
999 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrus614 /forum/post/18182767

I'm interested in buying a decent 5.1 set up for my den over the next couple weeks, nothing crazy just somthing better than my ancient sony HTiB. It's primary use would be for watching Blu-ray movies(PS3), followed by gaming (xbox360) and lastly music & hd cable. The part of the room dedicated to the surround system would be about 15x12. Starting out my budget is about $650 I want to use that to get the L,R,C and a receiver. After that in the next week or two I'll buy the SL,SR, and a Sub for around $300-$350. I would like tower speakers for the L&R if possible, alot of people of the forum say that Polk Audio is good, I was looking at the moniter 50's and 60's would these suit my needs? If so what Center should i get along with what Receiver to power them(and eventually what surrounds and sub)? I'm new to this so all suggestions are appreciated. With my budget and needs what system could I build to give me the best bang for my buck? Thanks alot!

If your after Polk's you might want to go ask this question in the Polk thread.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
since you mention blu-ray movies, then I will assume you want to process the new lossless HD audio codecs over HDMI cable. You choice of a/v receivers begin with units like the Onkyo SR507, Denon 590, Yamaha V565, and the Pioneer 819/919/1019 (Pio's are getting hard to find as model changeover approaches)

Within your stated budget, after the receiver ($300 to $350+) you will have "almost" enough for a pair Polk Monitor 60's and a CS1 (or if you have room for the larger CS2) center channel speaker. When it comes to bang for the limited buck, the Polk Monitors from www.newegg.com are very hard to beat. Occasionally you can find a good deal on Infinity Primus P362 towers and a PC350 center, but you have to hunt the sales and usually include the price of shipping.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter /forum/post/18183209

since you mention blu-ray movies, then I will assume you want to process the new lossless HD audio codecs over HDMI cable. You choice of a/v receivers begin with units like the Onkyo SR507, Denon 590, Yamaha V565, and the Pioneer 819/919/1019 (Pio's are getting hard to find as model changeover approaches)

Within your stated budget, after the receiver ($300 to $350+) you will have "almost" enough for a pair Polk Monitor 60's and a CS1 (or if you have room for the larger CS2) center channel speaker. When it comes to bang for the limited buck, the Polk Monitors from www.newegg.com are very hard to beat. Occasionally you can find a good deal on Infinity Primus P362 towers and a PC350 center, but you have to hunt the sales and usually include the price of shipping.

Thanks alot for the info, Ima look into some of these now. Thanx

1 - 4 of 4 Posts