AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in need of some advice that I trust. I am building a new home with a dedicated home theater on the 2nd level. I have the option of running speaker wire for it now, BEFORE the walls go up. I have just starting looking into what to buy and I am quite simply inundated with all of the options. I have a Yamaha DSP-A1, which I understand is considered "bright". It is driving the B&W 805's and the matching center on the fronts, and (no cringing please, this is temporary), the BOSE acoustimass for the rear channel, and a Velodyne 15" sub.

If I go through the attic and up and down the walls, I am looking at around 50' per run. Right now the B&W's are bi-wired. I plan on moving the B&W's to the rear and replacing them with some other B&W's. Knowing all of this, I don't want to use any more Monster Cable (varying opinions have called Monster the BOSE of wire); at any rate, without breaking the bank, what options do I have for wire? Since I am looking at 50' runs, I presume that the bulk option would be the best? Also, is the bi-wiring going to be worth the added cost? I would really appreciate any input. I have a limited time to do the research, order the wire and install it before they close up the walls and ceiling. Thus far I have looked into Kimber, Onix, Tara Labs, Audioquest. My opinion is that any of these cables would be far superior to what I might purchase at the "Shack", Best Buy or the like, so I would be happy finding a happy medium. I know (based on reviews) that everyone has his/her cable that is the "best" and as we all know, cables are at best highly "subjective". Since this system is mainly for home theater, I simply want high-quality cable without spending thousands on cable alone. I still have projectors and screens to deal with, and there are limits on expenditures.

Thanks in Advance,

-Dan

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
14g RadioShack speaker wire is what I would recommend

·
Registered
541 Posts
I'd recommend at least 14 gauge 4 conductor, CL3 rated wire. You can then bi-wire if you like. Try parts express, they have a 500' roll of in-wall 14-4 for $165.00. If you don't bi-wire, you can twist them together.

Otherwise, if you don't want to bi-wire, try a 100' roll of 12 gauge for $20.00. THX requires 12 gauge for runs on L/C/R over 30'. Not sure if the two twisted 14 gauge would satisfy that or not.

pc

·
Banned
1,400 Posts
I was just in the same situation. I was hiding my equipment in a rack and I wanted very high quality cables to run to my Wilson Speakers with the potential to biwire in the future if i ever change my speakers. I looked at all of the options you mentioned and found out about a company called CHORD. They are based out of England and have been making cables for many years. I opted for a Biwire cable (Rumor 4) made with a heavy shield, 4 strands of 16 gauge silver plated copper and looks good from the wall to the speaker, it's a clean white shield. They sold me a spool for about $8.50 per foot. Not so cheap but, when compared to the Nordost SPM I bought at $200 per foot, I felt it was a bargain. Here is the link to Chord

www.chord.co.uk

Go to speaker cables and click Rumor 4.

If you are interested, I have a ton of it left over i would sell to you for less than I paid, just because i don't need it. I have about 100 feet left over. It also comes with custom gold plated bannana plugs and shrink tubing. Very nice stuff.

·
Registered
448 Posts
ONIX SP-100 from **********

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.