AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to hook up some new speakers what type of connectors do you suggest and why? I've decided to go with some Carane speaker cables but I do not know what is a good end for the cable... like Banana Plugs or just plain wire or even just soldered ends.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I use spades on the amp connection and bare wire into the binding posts on the speakers themselves. I chose this route because bare wire wouldn't bind to the amp, and spades won't bind to the speakers. I could have used banana jacks, but chose not to since bare wire should give a better connection when the binding posts are cranked down.

Sorny

·
Registered
707 Posts
I prefer banana plugs because they are so much more convenient. If you are paranoid about the connection, just take a little screwdriver and bend the prongs out. Personally, I think it's better to address the audio paranoia than the speaker wire connectors.....

I would avoid the "locking" bananna plugs -- the kind that tighten for a "good" connection. These suckers tighten up on their own over the years and can be an S.O.B. to get out of the amplifier or speakers. I had a set of locking Monster banannas on my Audio Research that I thought I was going to have drill out of the back of the amp.

·
Registered
193 Posts
How do you mean locking? Mine are a tight squeeze going in, but I wouldnt consider them locked? Also, do you let any of the extra wire come out through the hole. I left the first 2 with about 1/8" sticking out because I know its not going to come into any contact with anything else, but the other few I made, I cut the speaker wire so that it would be flush with the screw hole.

·
Registered
251 Posts
As for electrical connection, they are all the same. You are not going to create any audible defects here. I prefer the bananas, like hwc, for the convenience. If you ever have to move speakers or amps, or just unplug them, it is so easy. No need to get any expensive connecters. partsexpress has plenty of good ones.

Tim

·
Registered
707 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SevenVII
How do you mean locking?
I don't know if they still make them. Many years ago, Monster made gold bananna connectors. Once they were inserted in the speaker or amp terminals, you took an allen wrench and tightened them -- a screw pushed the prongs out to pressure fit the terminal jacks. Major pain in the butt to get out of the amp after a few years.

Recently, I've just been buying solder-on single banannas and soldering them on the ends of the speaker wire. Nice solid connection, cheap and easy.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Ahh, I went ahead and got the dual end variety, with the screw clamp. I need to redo the ends though to make them look more professional, but I was rather hasty when my stuff came in and I wanted to see how it sounded :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.