AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We solved the shipping problem for the CLS and now I am thinking about the way the system will go together. I am using a 100WPC Classe Audio amplifier with the CLS. I have 2, 8 foot runs of Kimber 4TC cable.

Does anyone have any expierience with Kimber and Logans? I am a young Audiophile (23) and cannot afford expensive cables and am trying to make due with what I already have. Any reccomendations?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Orbillius, you might want to try on the cable forum or planar forum of Audio Assylum, I am using a pair of Monster Z3 cables and I am relatively happy they are not that expensive, I have also tried MIT's to good effect. All I can suggest with the Kimber is to try them and see... ( You will love the speaker, but start you search for the sub now :D ) I saw a kinegetics sw 800 system on Audiogon that is often considered the Holy Grail for CLS's...

Good luck!

Miles

( A fellow CLS owner!)

·
Registered
368 Posts
I bought all new cables from BetterCables and have been very pleased with the result. I got the balanced XLR cables for all amp to preamp connections, as well as bi-wired cables for my two ML Odyssey fronts. BetterCables sent the cables complete with Neutrik connectors where required (yeah, as a female I'm somewhat impaired in making attachments like this). I was able to get lengths that worked: short runs where possible, i.e. .5 meter for digital audio from Hi Def boxes to preamp/surround processor as well as long runs.

I only goofed with one cable which I returned with no problem. I found the staff easy to deal with and prompt in shipping.

Leslie

·
Registered
363 Posts
Leslie,

Now that everything is approaching broken in how do you find the Cal / Logan combo??

thanks

Miles

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have looked at teh better cables and they seem to have a build quality that far exceeds their peers given the price point. A local shop said they would sell me a 10 foot pair of Kimber 8vs terminated for $100. Is this a fair price? A good cable? I have been out of the audio world since 1998. I am a bit rusty.

·
Registered
437 Posts
my local Logan dealer uses Transparent cables- always sound good to me. I've got some of the cheaper transparent interconnects and have been pleased with them. You might be able to find a set of their speaker cables in your price range. but if you're happy with Kimber's then that's all that counts. save the high dollar cable purchase for when you're jonesing to upgrade something but not sure what.

good luck

·
Registered
368 Posts
Mwan

I really love the sound of the MLs and the CAL amp. I still have some more listening to do pm different types of music and with another input -- been moving stuff back into my newly repaired computer room which had flood damage in June so I'm running a little behind on the fun stuff.

Sound is excellent on movies (through the digital Skyworth connection) and excellent from the digital audio connects from the hi def TWC box. Most of my available time has been spent on getting the hi def signal working properly and now it is. So I have drop dead gorgeous hi def along with digital sound.

Every once in a while I get a very annoying hum. I think I get it solved and then it'll show up again. It must be caused by some weird intermittent interference which is beautifully amplified by the amp and dispersed by the MLs. Other than that, I'm really, really happy with the combination. Now, all I have to do is to get my husband to understand that he has to turn on the AMP to get sound (this came up the other night when he complained about no sound). Sigh.

Leslie

·
Registered
363 Posts
Ah Leslie, you should have opted for the Cal Pre-pro then that all would have been taken care of by the bus... ( Just kidding!!!) I am very glad to hear things are working out how about you non-standard surrounds how is that working out? there was another user who was wondering how to do 6.1 with logans and no space in the back. I told him you could probably offer some advice...

Orbillius sorry for hijacking your thread!!

Miles

Leslie sorry what did you end up doing for subs??? the descent is out now... It's quite nice just a little pricy!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Martin Logan Quest"z" Bi-wired 5' runs with AudioQuest Crystal & Midnight. Powered with Krell 250M Mono Blocks. I run Audioquest for all my inter-component connections as well. Monster Cable for the Scenario surrounds and Logos Center.

Any cable I have tore up or that has failed was always fixed or replaced at no cost by Audioquest. Damage to the cables usually done by myself from connecting and disconnecting at the RCA plug itself. Never had any problem with the speaker cable nor any desire to make a change. Have them terminated with oversized spade lugs, use a rachet to tighten down the speaker terminals. Just be careful not to over tighten. Best of luck and enjoy the magic of the electrostatic panels.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.