AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to buy some speaker cable (regular 14 AWG, nothing exotic).

I have done a search for the types people reccomend as budget buys. I have seen the 'go buy it at home depot' suggestion. However, Home Depot online doesn't have anything that I can see (they have a very limited range).

I have also chased down 'Carol' speaker cable - as supplied by Parts express - to see if there is someone local to San Jose, CA, that sells it (rather than shipping something heavy like this), but haven't found anything yet.

Anyone have any suggestions for companies that sell speaker cable e.g. in 200 - 300' reels at a not too exorbitant price? - in the area.

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Yardbird's up here sells 200ft reels of monster speaker wire. I've bought

the 25ft rolls, they were priced almost $10 cheaper than Bestbuy.

Radioshack also had large reels, but don't recall the price.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I bought a 200' roll of 12 gauge speaker wire from Center Hardware in San Francisco ( http://www.center-hardware.com ). Their price was actually cheaper than a similar roll from Home Depot. I'd recommend calling them first to make sure they have it in stock or how long it will take to get in.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Based solely on the amount of cable you are looking for, I am making a bold assumption that this may be installed in/behind walls rather than loose on the carpet/floor. If so, you really should get cable rated for in wall use.

Don't think of it as avoiding a fire, since unrated wire won't (likely) get that hot, but it will give the insurance company one less thing to complain about if you do have a fire. I have *heard* (not verified) that fire claims can be denied completely even if the non-inwall-rated wire had nothing to do with the fire.

Also, even with shipping, partsexpress (and others, not pimping one site) are typically cheaper than RS or HD.

BTW, HD does have spools that big.

Cheers,

Bill

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Not sure where in San Jose you are located but the Home Depot in Sunnyvale and the one in Cupertino both carry Carrol speaker wire. They have a couple different varieties as I was looking at it myself. There is a 12 gauge stranded in 500 foot rolls with a fancy clear cover that optically makes the wire gauge look larger than it is. I think this was $169/roll. The not so fancy 12 gauge stranded was $99/ roll. They also have 500 foot rolls of 14 gauge that are around $75/roll. In the audio video section they have 100 foot rolls of 14 gauge RCA speaker cable that is listed as Oxygen free for about $34/roll. I am not affiliated with them, I was just looking at the same thing you are and live in Sunnyvale.

..Doyle

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.