AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading forum after forum about speaker cable quality and there is definitely a lot of controversy. So I figure that the best way to get my answer is to ask the question myself.

I'm getting ready to buy some Paradigm Studio 60's powered by the Marantz SR7005 with speaker cable runs at approx. 35'. After doing my endless research, I was all set to buy monoprice's 12AWG CL2 rated cable.

Then I talked to my local dealer again and of course he's telling me that I won't be maximizing the Studio 60's performance unless I get the higher end stuff - in this case, audioquest. He's not arguing that the audioquest cable quality is significantly better, but that CL2 rated cable cannot perform as well due to the sacrifice of dialectric absorption (I've also read some forum postings that confirm that). He's suggesting that I reconfigure my setup so that I have shorter cable runs without having to install in-wall CL2 cables.

Even though everything I've read is telling me to ignore the hype around high-end speaker cable, my fear is...if I get the monoprice cables there will always be that uncertainty that I could be getting more out of my speakers.

I know there are a lot of forums on this topic and I don't want to get into a gauge debate here...but I have two questions:

1) Will I be a victim of the hype if I spend more money on the "better quality" speaker cables that aren't CL2 rated for in-wall installation?

2) Has anyone on here performed a listening test with different quality speaker cables and recognized a noticeable difference in their performance? Maybe there are forums on this topic I've missed...

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
194 Posts
If you're willing to spend the money on the dealer's cables, and you are that curious if they may be better, ask if he is willing to lend you cables to demo. Buy your monoprice cables, and then test the two so you can come to your own conclusion. General opinion seems to be that it doesn't matter. If he's willing to stand by his product he shouldn't have a problem with it.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Have a read of this...

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/c...-cable-faceoff

They compare diy and a monster cable along with some other stuff but the difference in this is they actually measured the cables inductance, capacitance and resistance and compared them along with price of the cable per foot. You'll be surprised at the results of cables you probably never knew could be speaker cables.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtjg /forum/post/20850444

Then I talked to my local dealer again and of course he's telling me that I won't be maximizing the Studio 60's performance unless I get the higher end stuff - in this case, audioquest.

How well do you trust this guy? Because just reading this, I don't.

Most stores have much bigger profit margins on cables and interconnects than they do anything else, so they tend to push the "higher end stuff." So they have a vested interest in selling higher priced cables.

·
Banned
9,076 Posts
If you have high end gear, plenty of money and are buying the cables for looks or braging rights, then go ahead. If you are buying the cables for improved audio, then you are wasting your money. Read Brandon's link listed above.

·
Super Moderator
14,625 Posts

Quote:
1) Will I be a victim of the hype if I spend more money on the "better quality" speaker cables that aren't CL2 rated for in-wall installation?

IMO, yes.

Quote:
2) Has anyone on here performed a listening test with different quality speaker cables and recognized a noticeable difference in their performance? Maybe there are forums on this topic I've missed...

People have performed listening tests and noticed a difference. I don't know of any properly-conducted, double-blind listening experiments with similar results.

IMO, "high end" speaker cables = snake oil. Leave 'em to the "audiophiles".

FWIW, my Marantz SR6003 and Emotiva UPA-5 connect to my Studio 60v4s, CC-690v5 and Studio 20v4s via:

- 12ga. Monoprice in-wall wire to various wall plates; and

- 14ga. Home Depot speaker wire from the wall plates.

I have never once noticed un-maximized performance due to dialectric absorption.

YMMV.

·
Registered
881 Posts
My philosophy is anything that doesnt immediately stand out as a huge improvement has to be very cheap for me to want it. Ive listened to high end DACS, CD players, cables... never heard an appreciable difference. Compare $5000 speakers to $1000 speakers and thats an appreciable difference, but compare a $5000 and $1000 cd player on the other hand. Even amps typically sound the same to me as long as theyre well within spec to do what they should do. If youre super rich then go ahead and buy the neatest looking gear, but for those on a budget i never get why, individually, their amps, dacs, or cd players cost more than their speakers.

As long as the gear is doing its job it will always be

1) recording

2) speakers

3) room treatments

4) amp

5) DAC

6) cables

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good stuffthanks for the responses. I started to doubt myself when the dealer was really pushing me on the cables, even though they're very short runs and they wouldn't be expensive.

I definitely prefer to go with my original plan with the 35' runs, so I'll stick with the monoprice cables.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.