AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get some new speaker cables for my front and center speakers, so I want to get 3 cables (of about 25ft each).

bettercables.com is a little out of my price range (I don't really want to spend any more than $50 for each cable).

http://www.avcables.com looks tempting but I couldn't find any reviews of them. Are Monster good or am I paying more for the name? Any other recommendations would be gratefully received.

Thanks

·
Registered
181 Posts
You can make your own cables that are the same as the Bettercables.com product

I believe they use Canare 4S11 cable. This can be purchased for about $0.69/ft Simply buy some good crimp on spade or banana plugs and you are set. You have a lot of change in your pocket.

try Markertek.com for the cable

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Would you be better off running CAT-5 for long run cables (I'm thinking about 30' or so for each speaker) as opposed to something like 12 AWG Monster Cable?

I'm going to set up a Head End room with all my components in it and run audio and video cables to my HT room.

Kevin

·
Registered
15,085 Posts
By itself, a single cat-5 cable would have far too much resistance to be used as a speaker cable. However, tweakers have reported success braiding many cat-5 cables together and using them as a single cable.

See
http://www.geocities.com/venhaus1/diycatfivecables.html

for one description of how to do it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Soapbox speech. Cat 5 type wiring is 22G twisted pair optimized for carrying high-speed digital signals. Speaker wire is for carring high current signals with no voltage loss and a limited (relatively speaking) frequency range (

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was thinking about building cat 5 cables, and the recipes I have seen call for using many (something like 108, which makes it equivalent to 10 guage). Supposed to sound real nice, but looks a real pain to make.

You could also check out partsconnection.on.ca

They sell some different brands of unterminated wire for a good price, so I you terminate them yourself, you can save some money.

Randy

·
Registered
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Want1394
Soapbox speech. Cat 5 type wiring is 22G twisted pair optimized for carrying high-speed digital signals. Speaker wire is for carring high current signals with no voltage loss and a limited (relatively speaking) frequency range (

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.