AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,


I'm upgrading my system to an Elite 45 receiver and Ascend/Hsu speakers. I'm frugal and on a budget and wondered if good old 12 gauge lamp cord is close enough to cable costing lots more (monster, etc)


Can you really hear the difference (night and day) or do you *want* to hear the difference after spending $500 on fancy wire? :)


thx


bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,201 Posts
Spongebob,

Let's not start this thread again. There is more than ample debate in the archives around here; use the "search" feature to find them. But in brief, you will find people on this forum on both ends of the spectrum.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Michael


I did a search for speaker cable and speaker wire and didn't come up with much at all. Where to look?


bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,201 Posts
Try doing a "slower" or "slow" search instead of the default "fast" search, and restrict yourself to the "Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat" section. Also search for "blind testing" or "subjectivist" or "objectivist".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,830 Posts
If you want to 'split the difference' between cheap lamp cord and more expensive speaker cable, may I suggest the 12 guage stranded copper speaker wire at Home Depot? I don't think you can beat the price (about $65 for 250 feet) and quality anywhere else.


htomei
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,649 Posts
I would certainly want to hear a difference if I spent $500 on speaker cables! FWIW I have 12 gauge architectural speaker cable in my walls and am quite happy. $.18 at foot. OTOH that aren't a lot of choices that will meet the local electrical code.


If you want more info than you can find here, try the cable forum at www.audioasylum.com. There is more information, misinformation, and opinion there than you will ever need.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
503 Posts
Quote:
Looks pretty "Crazy" over there at the Asylum
yeah, that's where the guys who listen to music and not argue about gear hang out.


:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,247 Posts
yes

no

yes


the asylum is a mixture of good information and poor methodology. it's difficult to walk sometimes and keep one's sneakers clean. if you don't like 12, there's always 10 :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by htomei22
If you want to 'split the difference' between cheap lamp cord and more expensive speaker cable, may I suggest the 12 guage stranded copper speaker wire at Home Depot? I don't think you can beat the price (about $65 for 250 feet) and quality anywhere else.


htomei


People: please go to this link and scroll down to the bottom. There is some less than savory info about the 12ga wire sold at HD and Lowes. I don't have any corroboration of this, but the site seems to be on the level.

http://home.earthlink.net/~rogerr7/wire.htm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
307 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by alpha
There is some less than savory info about the 12ga wire sold at HD and Lowes. I don't have any corroboration of this, but the site seems to be on the level.
Okay, he mentions the really cheap zip cord, but what about their twisted pair cables (stranded 12, 14 or 16 AWG)? It seems like nice stuff. Or is there a good reason not to use a twisted pair for speakers?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,201 Posts
So what if the wire turns green? I like my music green.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,896 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by alpha
People: please go to this link and scroll down to the bottom. There is some less than savory info about the 12ga wire sold at HD and Lowes. I don't have any corroboration of this, but the site seems to be on the level.

http://home.earthlink.net/~rogerr7/wire.htm
I've heard several people mention that site, and all have commented that their HD wire didn't suffer that problem. May have been a problem with the insulation on early runs that has since been sorted out.


But, like the other guys said, if it turns green... so what?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,646 Posts
I've got lowes 12ga stranded speaker wire. It does NOT corrode like that.


Sorny
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top