AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Unfortunately i cannot run cables in wall for my rear speakers and am planning to simply connect the rear speaker cable (with banana's) every time i need to use them. I have seen some cable wrapping solutions where the cable can be wrapped up into a circle in order to store it neat and tidily. My rear speaker cable will need to be 24 feet long. I remember seeing a device a while back whilst surfing (i think it was offered by a cable manufacturer and might have been called the snake or something similar - although i'm not really sure now) that might satisfy my needs, but unfortuntely i didn't save the link and cannot find it anymore. I have found similar devices but i can't seem find anything that would accommodate such a long cable length. I'm hoping to get two (if there is anything for me) and hide them under the AV unit or something, that way i wouldn't need to hook the cables up to the receiver / amp everytime. Does anyone know of anything that would help me out?

Thanks.

· Registered
760 Posts

· Registered
124 Posts
To get speaker cable to my rear surround speakers, I have to do several things:

1) buy FLAT undercarpet speaker wire (many online places sell them).

2) for part of the run, I ran them under the baseboard of the wall behind the carpet tack strip. Be sure to flatten the nail where the cables will cross to prevent puncturing the cables.

3) for the last part of the run, I had to pull up a small corner of carpeting and then use a Wire Fishing Tape to pull the wire under the carpet...

Hope that helps,

Dave

· Registered
568 Posts
Somebody out there is making velcro strips that are easy to wrap/unwrap, which is good since it seems like I'm always adding something new to the mix.

Home depot sells foam pipe insulation in eight or ten foot lengths. It can be split lengthwise down the seam and will hold a reasonable number of wires semiattractively for next to nothing.

Just some ideas for people to consider.

Enjoy

· Registered
778 Posts
Problem with base board "hiding" is door ways - unless you buy/install the systems that wrap around your door frames. Personal taste comes into the equation then.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've seen the velcro straps and i think i'll use them, the other solutions won't work in my room. I thouht i saw something similar to the cable turtle at cable organiser - but for longer runs. I'll probably try wrapping the cables into a coil using the velcro straps and just hide it under the AV unit - hopefully they'll fit.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another thing; I'd appreciate it if anyone could tell me if RFI / EMI or humming etc will be a problem when leaving the speaker cables connected to the amp/ receiver but not to the rear speakers. This would be the case when listening to stereo music for example. If it is, can anyone recommend any sort of solution to prevent this?

Also, I know Cardas sells rca caps for female outlets for this reason, do many people use these and where are they most needed? I'm guessing unused pre-outs would be the best place.

Thanks.

· Registered
2,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by probeski
I've seen the velcro straps and i think i'll use them, the other solutions won't work in my room. I thouht i saw something similar to the cable turtle at cable organiser - but for longer runs. I'll probably try wrapping the cables into a coil using the velcro straps and just hide it under the AV unit - hopefully they'll fit.
You may want to reconsider wrapping speaker wire in to a coil. This creates a "choke" that will kill high frequencies. If you have extra speaker wire you should fold it over itself, rather than wrapping it in a small coil.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry for the late reply.

Can you please explain in more detail what you mean by wrapping it over itself? The speaker wire will not be connected to any speakers when it is wrapped; it will only be wrapped when i'm not using my rear speakers. The wire will however be left connected to the receiver only, so in this case will there still be an issue with RFI / EMI?

Also can't anyone give me any advice about the Cardass rca caps?

· Registered
12 Posts
Any good sites to demonstrate good cable hiding?

· Registered
719 Posts
Hi, I've found these on cable organizer's websites. http://www.cableorganizer.com/cord-protector-flexiduct/

My problem for my on-wall surrounds is that I don't want cables exposed and dangling on the wall. I think the cord-protector is good for that since I'll only need about 5 ft of them on each side, the speaker is about 5 ft high on the wall, they do seem a little costly for cable hiders though. Is there anything wrong with putting of the cable under carpet? The reason I ask this is that when I add the rear surrounds in the near future, I'll use something to hide the cables dangling on the walls, but the rest has to go under the area rug to minimize the cable length. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.