Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I searched on it. I read an article on it somewhere here about how zip cord is just as good :) Seriously, that's some funny stuff.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to stick this post...but whateva...i guess I'll find out ;) heh.

So, what kinda speaker wire/cables do you guys use? If it's some kinda $10/foot goldplated stuff...keep it :) I'm not spending big $$ on this stuff :D

I guess the whole zip cord thing is really exciting to me :D I always thot that those expensive cables were just a little too much :D heh.

Anyhow, I was thinkin' of checking the RatShack and maybe walleyworld...in addition to HomeDepot and Lowe's.

TIA!

this forum roX :D

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Stay tuned for more info.

Seth

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Us EE's have been preaching that RLC parameters are pretty much all one needs to look at for years. Sadly, people seem to trust marketing people instead of engineers. Funny how the people most well educated to give a truthful response are the ones shunned and ignored by audioFOOLS. There is a world of difference, IMHO, between an audiophile and an audiofool. One is easily parted with his/her money, the other is not.

I postulate that the very well understood RLC parameters so dominate any other possible aspects in cable manufacture that even comparing other measurements is a waste of time at audio frequencies. There is always that .1% who might actually hear a difference that doesn't match the basic RLC, but would these so-called golden-ears submit to a proper ABX test to prove it? Richard Clark still having his car and $10,000 says no.

Sorny

·
Registered
12 Posts
Expensive cables could be better, the price says nothing about the matching with your other components itself ;) . I use Kimber 8TC as speaker cable and the Kimber Hero as interconnect and I am very happy with it.

An example:

I had a pair of Interconnects from Fadel Art "$900" to test they were good indeed but finally I bought the Hero from Kimber which matched a lot better with the rest of my equipment which cost only a third of the Fadel.

The best way to make a choice, try to lend several cables and start trying ;) .

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I am in the low inductance camp to a point. I also hate lousy insulation.

I think there are good cheap materials you can use if you don't want to spend a lot of money. I like to suggest using drill-twisted pairs of THHN copper wire from HD or other "home" stores, as a cheap, decent, cable. It is stiff, though.

Kimber has great specs. One of the few manufacturers who give you any real specs. Just in case you have some money to spend.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.