AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have a 5.1 system with front Fluance Tower speakers, Triangle center speaker, JBL surrounds and dual Reaction Audio turbo 12 inch subs running off an Onkyo NR414 reciever.  My listening room is 12x11 in a 4th bedroom.  Crossover is set at 80.  Subwoofer volume is set at a 1/3 to a half way up and phase is set at 0.  I am using a radio shack meter to achieve settings around 75 because the receiver does not utilize Audessy.  I am having trouble with speaker calibration finding crisp, bright highs with clean vibrant bass. The sweet spot is 8 feet from fronts and centers.  Surrounds and subwoofers are 5 feet from sweet spot on opposite walls.  The subwoofers are not facing each other.  And I have them on yoga blocks about a foot from the walls.  I like the bass "hot". What decibels do you think should be set on the receiver from -3 to + 10 on the fronts, center, surrounds and subs?  What kind of speaker settings are you running?

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Does your reciever have a test tone to level match the speakers? If so they usually are at -30db from reference level which is 105db peaks so you'd set your LCRs to 75db and surrounds to 73db using your Radio Shack meter and the trims in the reciever. THX does 80hz crossovers but if your mains -3db point in it's spec is right at 80 or higher try other higher crossover settings to your mains and center and trial and error like crazy. Also try toeing in your speakers to your main seat. Also acoustuc treatments help so much. I have many and it was night and day difference .

If nothing works you might consider a new reciever with Aud MultEQ XT or the top shelf XT32. Mine has the former and it really does a great job and can really do wonders.

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Oh also with level matching the subs with the Radio Shack meter you have to convert a certain amount of Db's to your reading for certain low frequencies. Do a search to see what the conversion numbers are I can't remember but I'm sure there is a chart or thread about it.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
You need a sound pressure meter, unless you have a AVR that automatically does it with a setup mic.

-/+ settings of others are useless.

Calibrate each speaker to 75dB, maybe sub to 75 to 77 or 78dB depending.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmillerjr  /t/1519712/speaker-calibration#post_24405497

I have a 5.1 system with front Fluance Tower speakers, Triangle center speaker, JBL surrounds and dual Reaction Audio turbo 12 inch subs running off an Onkyo NR414 reciever.  My listening room is 12x11 in a 4th bedroom.  Crossover is set at 80.  Subwoofer volume is set at a 1/3 to a half way up and phase is set at 0.  I am using a radio shack meter to achieve settings around 75 because the receiver does not utilize Audessy.  I am having trouble with speaker calibration finding crisp, bright highs with clean vibrant bass. The sweet spot is 8 feet from fronts and centers.  Surrounds and subwoofers are 5 feet from sweet spot on opposite walls.  The subwoofers are not facing each other.  And I have them on yoga blocks about a foot from the walls.  I like the bass "hot". What decibels do you think should be set on the receiver from -3 to + 10 on the fronts, center, surrounds and subs?  What kind of speaker settings are you running?

I'm really curious about the Reaction Audio BPS 212 Turbo subs. Can you start a thread in the subwoofer forum discussing the Reaction Audio subs and your impression on them?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts