AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As my little one is approaching the crawling stage I'm faced with some tough decisions regarding my home theater and speaker setup. I've already ordered an articulating mount from monoprice for my 50" plasma, and plan to mount it just a little higher than what's preferable and it will be above an A/V table, so I think I've got the TV taken care of.

My real problem is with my speakers. I pieced together an Infinity Beta speaker system (for a great bargain), which includes the huge c360 center, and 2 Beta 20 bookshelfs for the front. I plan to build a custom table/component center with doors for all my components and the c360 center channel...but I don't know what to do with my L/R speakers.

Its seems even the most sturdy of speaker stands would be a bad idea as a toddler would surely find a way to bring them crashing down. So...I'm considering the following options:

1.) Get two satellite speakers for the L/R. I really want something that will sound good with the Beta c360, so I first looked at the Infinity tss-1000, and 750s. I assume this would be a considerable downgrade in sound quality, but I could mount them on the wall and out of harms way.

*I'm also looking at the Energy Take 5 Classic speakers, either just 2 to go with the Beta c360, or possibly the entire 5 speaker setup and put the Infinitys in the basement.

2.) Just build two bookshelves to go on either side of the table I plan to build that would be high enough to be out of reach, and put the Beta 20's on top.

#2 would be a lot more work, but may be cheaper and would (presumably) retain the better speakers.

All opinions welcomed, I appreciate the input.

·
Premium Member
10,474 Posts
Mounting speakers high or using in-walls are your best bets to make your speakers more child resistant. Surrounds will work well mounted high. Center channels and mains are more difficult. I have seen some clients use a type of child proof fence to separate the young from their gear.

·
Registered
245 Posts
If you don't mind drilling a small hole in the back of the speaker cabinet, they make straps that wrap around a buckle, and you screw one end to the wall and the other to the object that you want to remain stable, and then tighten the strap to secure it. These are also a real good idea to secure any large dressers, book shelves, or hutches that you are worried about tipping over. You should be able to find them at Baby's R Us, or any other store that has a large collection of kid/baby items.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^good call, I will definitely consider those straps. The child fence option could also work, that way when the little one is cruising around I can just throw the fence up.

I knew it would be a good idea to post something here, got 2 ideas I never thought of

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'd like to quote the great Jeff Foxworthy...

"My parents version of "child-proofing" our home was to put a 900 pound television set on a tv tray. "Let him pull it on his head a few times, he'll learn!", "You want to put a penny in a light socket? Go ahead and try that out one time. Oh?!? Hurt like hell, didn't it? Don't do that no more!""

In all seriousness though, the straps are a great idea, and work well. My sister has used them on many items. Another concern should be protecting the ports of a speaker from misc GI Joe recon...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts