AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im getting real non TV speakers for the first time to go in my basement. MY basement is far from ideal in terms of audio use. The area where to speakers would be has 8 very uneven sides 2 of which are entrance ways to other parts of the basement ones about 5 feet the other like 6. Closing these off is not going to happen. From the middle of the room every wall is between 4 and 8 feet away. Im not an audiophile I just simply need speakers for a projector because its the first "TV" im getting that doesnt have built in speakers. Im looking at the Denon 1712 reciever but may get a cheaper one if I get cheap speakers. I dont want to spend much. Max of 400. For such an odd set up is a 5 speaker system worth it or should I just get two for the front. For a 5 speaker system I was looking at the Yamaha NS-SP1800BL 5.1-Channel Home Theater Speaker Package for a cheap option and the Jamo S-606-HCS-3 5.0 speaker system If its worth it for something a bit nicer. In all is a 5 speaker system worth it and if it is whats a good one and if not whats another good option.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah but to my non trained ears and weird room is it worth 800 for the jamo plus 1712 vs 400 yamaha plus cheaper reciever. Also are 5 speakers much better than 2 in my situation. What kind of things on TV make use of all 5 speakers.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Just my opinion here Sandman....

I would go with a good 2.0 or even decent 3.0 set up at first and add a sub as money will allow... and then deceide if you want a 5.1 or more later as time goes. If you go cheap.. well thats what you get... cheap.

I would reccomend a decent receiver as for to allow for "expansion" in the future. You dont have to go crazy buy no means just make sure it has all the connections for the projector and inputs/outs that you need. You may want to look into used or referb units as the price would be more in your range??

5.1 does make a differnace esp. for movies... as far as TV goes, if you are on the HD channels most are broadcst in 5.1 nowdays... makes for more of a better sound stage.

For referb, open box & clearance section I would look into these two sites...
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceivers/1.htm
www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/clearance/3/21

* Same goes for speakers btw

I guess what I am trying to say is if you go cheap then you will not be satisfied as to where you just spent $ that could of been toward a better set up is all.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks I just want quality but if I can get quality for cheap why not. 99% of my channels are HD so it sounds worth it. Is the jamo with the 1712 a good set up? I know this is the speaker forum but are the networking feature on the 2112 useful. I'm getting a blu ray player that has many of the same streaming features but do have several apple devices that could connect with it.

·
Registered
334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sandman /forum/post/20835657

Im getting real non TV speakers for the first time to go in my basement. MY basement is far from ideal in terms of audio use. The area where to speakers would be has 8 very uneven sides 2 of which are entrance ways to other parts of the basement ones about 5 feet the other like 6. Closing these off is not going to happen. From the middle of the room every wall is between 4 and 8 feet away. Im not an audiophile I just simply need speakers for a projector because its the first "TV" im getting that doesnt have built in speakers. Im looking at the Denon 1712 reciever but may get a cheaper one if I get cheap speakers. I dont want to spend much. Max of 400. For such an odd set up is a 5 speaker system worth it or should I just get two for the front. For a 5 speaker system I was looking at the Yamaha NS-SP1800BL 5.1-Channel Home Theater Speaker Package for a cheap option and the Jamo S-606-HCS-3 5.0 speaker system If its worth it for something a bit nicer. In all is a 5 speaker system worth it and if it is whats a good one and if not whats another good option.

Actually I don't think your basement is that bad for audio use. Please remember solid wall/floor/ceiling reflections are usually detrimental to the sound quality but as long as the wall are probably treated to disperse the reflections and selected walls are made acoustically dead, any room can be a good audio room. The entrances and openings actually allow the sound to escape and why did you think you need to close them? Closing them with untreated doors or solid walls will only introduce more reflections. Room acoustics are often more important than the speakers and you need to have the right concept 1st.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok thanks. Just to make it more symmetrical. Sounds like the Jamos are the way to go. For only 400 they sound like a great value. Will the blacks come down in price. I think I like the brown ones anyway but options are always good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.