AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, for the last 6 months of work on my theater I have been planning on getting the Paradigm Monitor Series speakers, powered by the Denon 3802:

Fronts: Monitor 5's

Center: CC-370

Surround: ADP-170

Back: Atoms

Sub: PS1200

Just so happens I'm in Circuit City, my least favorite electronics store, and I wander over to the speaker section. Next thing I know I'm walking out the store with the following:

Fronts: Polk Audio R40

Center: Polk Audio CS175i

Surround: Polk Audio FX300I

Back: Polk Audio R15

Sub: PSW650

Ok, the Paradigm system can be had for about $2000 at my local dealer.

I got the Polk Audio system for $1287.10 out the door. Price sound good?

I haven't hooked these up to my system yet, but someone please tell me how much difference there is between these two systems, besides the $712.90!

I can't very well compare these since I would never be able find these systems in the same store. I have listened to both in the showrooms and both sounded really good.

Please try and give me real concrete reasons why I should take these back and get the Paradigms.

Thanks in advance for your responses,

Topaz

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Topaz,

I don't think anyone is going to be able to give you "concrete" reasons why you should return the Polks because speaker preference is just that-your personal preference. What you like may not be what someone else likes.

Bottom line is if you like the sound you get from your new Polks then you've just saved yourself some nice change that you'll be able to use to upgrade other areas of your HT system. If you don't then by all means, take them back.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Agree with Maddog 110%. Every opinion is warrnated, but YOU make the final decision because you know what you like and that is all that matters in the end.

I was in a similar situation and decided to bring BOTH sytems home and demo them in my living space. After all the work involved of picks ups, setting up and returning the system I did not purchase, then I knew what I bought was the one that I truly wanted. NO buyer remorse or second guessing myself.

If you have trepdiation about the Paradigms, may I suggest that you check the Paradigm dealers return policy and if there is no restocking fee or penality in any way, bring them home and do a comparrison against the Polks.

My personal experience is that my ears have short term memory and the best method of comparrision is side by side in your home enviornment if both speakers sound good. If something blows you away, then that is the one to purchase. By the way, I picked the Paradigm's. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.