AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5.1 set-up and the main speakers connect to a wall plate with binding posts. Obviously the wires go through the wall to my receiver. The in-wall speaker wires have no indication of + or - nor does the mounting plate where the wires connect to the speaker. I had the mounting plates and connections done by a professional about 3 months ago. Yesterday, I noticed that on the left wall plate the red wire was connected to the top post and the black was connected to the bottom. These connections were reversed on the right speaker. I feel confident that I would have noticed if these were reveresed a long time ago, but I don't know for sure. Also, we have a housekeeper that could have easily unplugged the wires to clean, then unkowingly re-connected them wrong.

Is there something acoustically that I can listen for to see if the connections are indeed wrong? I do find it hard to believe that the installers (from a high-end shop) would have put the positive and negative connections on opposite ends for the L and R but I don't know for sure. The binding posts are just gold (not red and black) so no way to match them that way either. Also, if they are wrong, have I been doing any damage to my equipment?

Thanks for any input.

Ben

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
There is a very easy way to check for speaker polarization.

Disconnect the wires at the amplifier.

Connect a C cell (1.5 volts) or D cell to the speaker wires momentarily, and observe whether the cone of the main driver moves IN or OUT when the cell is connected for a moment.

When all of the speakers move the same direction for the same C cell polarity, you have the polarization the same.

Put a tag or marker on the + polarity wire for all pairs at the amplifier end, and the speaker end.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, thanks! Does it matter what I label + or - (or a cone that moves out is + and a cone that mov3s in is -)?

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
If you have a receiver with Audyssey, it will check your speaker polarity during setup, if not then you will have to try something like what was posted above.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do have Audyssey. I would imagine that I'd need to re-run it as it is possible that this connection changed since the initial set-up, correct?

·
Registered
6,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aja1  /t/1525313/speaker-connection#post_24555466

I do have Audyssey. I would imagine that I'd need to re-run it as it is possible that this connection changed since the initial set-up, correct?

It wouldn't hurt. When you do the speaker setup, it tells you to plug in each speaker and should tell you about any phase issues.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks. I just also realized that I've not been using the Audyssey settings of late. Maybe when I turn it back on it will detect anything.

Thanks again for the responses.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts