AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to try the NCM Vision Signature Speakers I built in my basement theater. When I built them over 15 years ago the stain and finish was selected to match our Oak cabinets and floor.

In a light controlled theater I will need to either refinish them or cover them with some type of blackout material to minimize reflections.

I have some Black Royalty 3 Velvet Fabric I could use to make a cover for the speakers from if I can find a seamstress. I wouldn't need to cover the drivers but could include a little window of acoustically transparent speaker cloth large enough to cover the drivers if it would look better. A black window on the black velvet speaker sock.

I am not sure this is the right forum section but has anyone tried something similar with acceptable results?

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,084 Posts
for reducing reflected light or dampening a high gloss /shiny surface and in an attempt to still make things AT, as in wall panels,
At walmart and Target there are some Mainstays very AT looking window panels, light, and I mean very light "curtains"
As unscientific as it seems, the "breath test" even thru 2 layers , no problem, tho you may get the results you want with just 1,
I usually use the black

The royal velvet is not even remotely AT but is excellent for reflected light control
:)

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
for reducing reflected light or dampening a high gloss /shiny surface and in an attempt to still make things AT, as in wall panels,
At walmart and Target there are some Mainstays very AT looking window panels, light, and I mean very light "curtains"
As unscientific as it seems, the "breath test" even thru 2 layers , no problem, tho you may get the results you want with just 1,
I usually use the black

The royal velvet is not even remotely AT but is excellent for reflected light control
:)
If I wasn't clear, I realize the velvet is not acoustically transparent and have no intention of using it in front of the actual drivers, just the rest of the speaker since I already own the material. I was considering just leaving a hole in the velvet cover around the driver or sewing a small acoustically transparent piece of material onto the velvet just large enough to cover the driver opening.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
5,084 Posts
oh, sewing . . . that would be like a black velvet condom for your wood . . . it is impressive:eek:
not sure what seamstresses charge but draping the whole speaker could still be much less expensive
google up the curtains anyway ,
If you want a more esthetic snug fit. use some of those little black paper clips pulling it all tight and wrapped and secured in back
Then see if you like it
good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts