AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Polk's all around in my HT. Today I hooked my Direct TV TiVo into my HK AVR 225 via an optical cable.

When changing channels there is a short delay on sound, the picture comes on screen then maybe a second later the sound follows. When the sound comes in even at low volumes a speaker crackles or pops I guess is the sound it makes. It doesn't seem to be the same speaker all the time it can be a different one each channel change.

The speakers never do this during radio or CD playback nor during DVD movies.

Any ideas?

Is it harmful at all it sure is annoying. Is my optical cable bad? Something to do with my receiver?

·
Registered
27,309 Posts
Is it an older receiver??

Typically, the pop is when the receiver locks on to the digital signal of the channel. Each time you switch channels the digital audio stream is interrupted and must be re-locked onto by the receiver. I haven't heard of this appearing for a while as mosty manufacturers have corrected this.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its brand new it's a Harman hardon AVR 225 so I would hope that is not the problem. I guess I will try using regular audio hookups instead of the optical cable see if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had that problem when I bought some new speakers and feared they were defective.

Turns out it was the wiring. When I orignally connected the speaker wire, I used pin connectors . When putting them through the opening of the binding post and tightening down, however, I was not getting a good contact with the metal straps that brodged the two sets of binding posts and it caused exactly what you were describing.

Removing pin connectors and using the bare wire allowed my to tighten the binding posts better and ensure a secure connection which solved my problem. You may want to try it.

EDIT: I dind't read how it didn't happen with other sound sources. It could be a defective optical cable. If they are bent to sharply they no longer transmit reliably, though usually the resulting noise (if any) is like some kind of digitized feedback ...

·
Registered
882 Posts
Mine crackle-pops occur between a Pioneer 3510 Voyager HD cable box and a Pioneer 49TXi rcvr. It could easily blow a speaker driver if you change channels with the volume up.

Sometimes the rcvr can't re-synch at all when changing channels and I have to either turn the cable box off&on OR force the rcvr to loop through the Digital-Analog-Auto options.

Doesn't happen through the analog connection, only digital.

I need a cheap rcvr to determine whether its the cable box or rcvr.

Regardless the rcvr should NOT let this occur.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.