AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.... I'm new to the audio gear stuff, for years i've been listening to sound through TV speakers.... I recently bought a plasma TV and the sound coming from it sucks horribly.. so I decided to buy speakers (7 speakers, a sub and a receiver) two weeks ago.... I went all out, at least for me, and spent about $2000 on it.... Man! have I been missing out... that stuff sound amazing!

anyway, I'm new to this and i don't know what could and couldn't damage speakers plus I'm paranoid, I've tried to play some DTS audio disk that a friend gave me to test out the system and it came out as loud static.... I turned it off not 2 or 3 seconds later. the volume setting on the receiver wasn't high nor was it low. my question is, what are the chances that the static damaged the speakers or some of them? how do damaged speakers sound? and is it possible that the speakers were minimally damaged where you only notice it in some situations?

sorry for writing too much, and thanks for the help.

btw, I'm not stupid... i just don't know ANYTHING about this stuff.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Generally, a damaged speaker will stop playing, or will make scratchy sounds while playing. Put your ear up to each driver in the speaker and see if they are all still making noise. In particular, static is more likely to damage the tweeters. My guess is that your speakers are probably fine.

-Max

1 - 2 of 2 Posts