AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, first time posting here though I've been lurking for some time.

The time has come to finally take the plunge and buy some hardware, and I'm needing some input. I've attached a rough layout of the listening area. Subs #1 and #2 haven't been purchased yet, but I'm leaning toward either 2x Hsu ULS-15 or 1x Hsu ULS-15 with 1x Hsu MBM (feel free to comment on these as well).

Right now I'm trying to decide on towers and have it narrowed down to the following.

Paradigm Studio 60 ($1,600- $1,700)

Klipsch RF-7 ii (B-stock, new, $2000)

Also considering if the jump to Studio 100's ($2,500ish) would be worthwhile, though it may delay the sub purchases. My wife and I have listened to the 60s and RF-7's and both sound really good to our (unexperienced) ears. We also listened to the Monitor RX-8s, and the B&W CM8 and CM9s, as well as a few other, but preferred the sound of the Paradigm and Klipsch.

Our use will be 90% home theatre. I was able to pick up a Marantz 5005 for $320, so that's what will be powering them until future amps are purchased.

What would you choose given the above options? What is the break-even point for choosing one over the other?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
For 90% HT I'll cast a vote for the Klipsch. I have budget Klipsch in my HT and think they're great for movies/TV. For music they're decent, but for that there are better choices.

The Klipsch are much more sensitive than the Paradigm's and will play twice as loud with the same amplification. I don't know if you plan on going to 5.1 or 7.1 eventually but that will become more of an issue if you try to drive more speakers with your amp. If I were going with the Paradigm's I would get a better amp. Even if you don't listen loud, the less you have to tax your amp, the better sound quality you will get.

Ultimately its what sounds best to you, but if its a tie, I'd go Klipsch.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
For your subwoofer let me recommend a different route. You might try a couple VTF3s instead, with the drivers facing inward toward the couch. This is what I have and it pounds hard. They make great endtable subs. Outside of that I would get two ULS-15s instead of a ULS and a MBM. If you intended placement for the subs was different I would say go for the ULS and MBM but I wouldn't want them both near-field, just one or the other, and since the MBM is not a full range sub it would be much better to get some ULSs. The ULSs are great subs by the way.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts