AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to the size of my room (11' by 11) front speakers are placed 7 feet apart, with that distance will a center channel bring noticeable improvement or it's pretty trivial to the point that it can be left out?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
What kind of speakers? What is the seating like?

If the speakers have some directivity control and you're only covering a couple seats, probably fine IMO.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiyafan  /t/1526623/speaker-distance-and-center-channel#post_24589168

Due to the size of my room (11' by 11) front speakers are placed 7 feet apart, with that distance will a center channel bring noticeable improvement !
Yes. With the mains that far apart a phantom set up won't work very well. That's not a bad thing, as when the L/R are so close together that they work really well in phantom mode, like five feet or less, you lose the left/right spread impact.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic  /t/1526623/speaker-distance-and-center-channel#post_24589198

What kind of speakers? What is the seating like?

If the speakers have some directivity control and you're only covering a couple seats, probably fine IMO.

Ascend Sierra Tower, just for me and my wife. =)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice  /t/1526623/speaker-distance-and-center-channel#post_24589308

Yes. With the mains that far apart a phantom set up won't work very well. That's not a bad thing, as when the L/R are so close together that they work really well in phantom mode, like five feet or less, you lose the left/right spread impact.

I see. I thought 7 feet was quite close!

Next thing I have to figure out is where to place the center channel since my 27'' PC monitor is placed on a desk.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiyafan  /t/1526623/speaker-distance-and-center-channel#post_24589947

I thought 7 feet was quite close!
It would be if your listening position was 20 feet away, but not in your room.
Quote:
Next thing I have to figure out is where to place the center channel since my 27'' PC monitor is placed on a desk.
That means you should be viewing from maybe six feet away, in which case a seven foot L/R spread is quite a lot.

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
Ya, I think a center would help a lot in this case. Even with only 2 seats.

Have you tried without a center? Do you find that speech sways from side to side or lacks position. If you understand what I mean by that.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not yet, actually I am still waiting for my speakers to be delivered as I am doing some early homework on center channel.

·
Registered
8,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiyafan  /t/1526623/speaker-distance-and-center-channel/0_50#post_24656036

Now I got the speakers and they go down to 35 Hz, should I get a sub or center first?
If you are not having problems with the image, then definitely the sub. It may be able to do 35Hz, but it won't be able to do it very loud and clean with a pair of 5.25" drivers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts