·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My modest home theater has the following speakers:

Center: Polk RC65i

L/R: RC65i (mounted in wall)

Surround: RC60i (mounted in ceiling)

Wall has studs with drywall on both sides (no insulation in cavity) and ceiling has attic above with loose fill insulation.

Do these speakers/structure require I stuff cavity with insulation? Do I need to build an enclosure in wall or ceiling for my relatively untrained ears to even tell a difference?

Thanks

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro2013  /t/1523135/speaker-enclosure-really-necessary/0_40#post_24498666

Do I need to build an enclosure in wall or ceiling for my relatively untrained ears to even tell a difference?

Thanks

In wall, in ceiling speakers assume a certain volume of air on the back side of the speaker, you start putting it in a smaller space and the air acts as a resistance to the movement of the woofer. This will alter the frequency response. Bottom line don't do it unless you get Polk to tell you what volume you should build your box.

Insulation will reduce any wall resonances that those open back speakers create inside the walls which come back as a muddying of the sound in the room. Next time buy fully enclosed in-wall speakers made with rear baffles.

Will your untrained ears tell a difference? why are you asking? Do you think your system is lacking? This may be an early symptom of upgraditis.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So it sounds like reducing resonances with insulation is good, but enclosures around the speakers is bad if the airspace isn't correct? I guess I assumed that the back of the speaker would be pushing lightly against the insulation...

I haven't felt the upgraditis yet, but definitely have a wife with symptoms exhibiting youspentenuftis.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great. Is resonance also an issue with my seating platform if I don't have any speakers attached to it? Just want to know how much insulation I should buy when I make another trip to the store,

·
Registered
56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC  /t/1523135/speaker-enclosure-really-necessary/0_100#post_24514343

It is standard practice to fill the riser to avoid resonances.

Oh! Oh! I've got this one! *clears throat*

With SAND! This will add mass, decreasing resonance problems

You can use play sand, trying to get the paper bag ones that have sat in the store for a while because that lets out moisture.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts