AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, very new to the audio world, I purchased the x 540 5.1 setup and have hooked it up to my custom pc through a startech soundcard, I recently found out for a startech livechat that my card does not support speaker fill, I was wondering which pcie card under 75$ cad would be the best for me, I dont think i can use optical either because of the way the x 540 setup works. I get stereo sound but only sound from the back two when configured in the "room" setup in the startech driver, but i can tell the sound is not right, and nothing from center. I am not an audiophile but would just like to enjoy youtube music and movies from all speakers. Thank you

·
Registered
241 Posts
A true 5.1 or 4.0 (quad) setup requires source material mixed into 5.1 or quad discrete tracks - different sound in all speakers. (Example DTS or Dolby Digital 5.1 on a movie or multichannel blu-Ray Audio or SACD audio disc).

There are some proprietary 'up-mixing' algorithms found in most surround AVRs that can artificially create a 5.1 surround field from stereo. Maybe you can find a sound card that support Dolby Surround or DTS Neo up-mixing since these will fill all speakers from a stereo track.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts