AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bear with me for a "newbie" question. I'm in the process of setting up a home theater with a plasma display (Panasonic 42 in) where the audio will be run through a Denon receiver. My wife wants to be able to turn on the cable and watch it without fussing with the receiver. For things like the news, I agree. I was thinking about getting a pair of small speakers (like those cubes used for PCs) instead of the Panasonic add-on speakers, which won't fit in my cabinet. Six inch cubes or smaller would work. Any suggestions? And, I'd not thought about this before, but do I need shielded speakers for a plasma, or is that just a concern for CTRs?

TIA

·
Registered
80 Posts
My wife was this way too. Then I got a Pronto TS1000 and programmed it with easy to understand Macro functionality. Now everything always goes through the receiver.

Plus, this will end up being a cleaner look for you too.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I did up a set of five Gallo Micros with a Gallo Due center channel. I love the sound - and it looks killer in our small living room. Granted, the Gallos are not "high end" per se, but I have not had any complaints from anyone who has seen and heard my stuff. They sound good with movies and music too...

If you wanted yery cool, dues all around would rock (expensive however)

Also, the Gallos are steel..so there isn't a shielding issue with them

·
Banned
172 Posts
I thought the only reason non shielded speakers caused problems with CRT displays is because the magnets in the speakers would interact with the magnets in CRT displays.

Since plasma displays have no magnets, I don't think shielding is a problem.

Of course don't quote me on this, I wouldn't want anything to happen to your expensive plasma display in case I am wrong.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
There are a number of smallish bookshelf speakers that I'm looking at for my plasma as well. These Artcoustic look absolutely top-notch, but have not auditioned them. Vienna Acoustics has a new line of speakers that are wall-mounted flat/thin stylish to match the plasma's decor. I really think this has to be the next wave of speaker designs... to match a wall mounted plasma.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
I'd go with the programable remote.

If you get some other speakers that don't sound nearly as good as your regular ones, then it's very likely that the smaller ones won't get used and you'll wind up getting the programable remote anyway.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Fourseasons
I thought the only reason non shielded speakers caused problems with CRT displays is because the magnets in the speakers would interact with the magnets in CRT displays.

Since plasma displays have no magnets, I don't think shielding is a problem.

Of course don't quote me on this, I wouldn't want anything to happen to your expensive plasma display in case I am wrong.
That's correct. Non-shielded speakers won't effect plasmas like they do CRT's. Shielding is never a bad thing, though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info and the completely unexpected suggestion of the programmable remote. I knew nothing about them. Stayed up way too late last night researching these. Yeah, it'll solve my spousal request, but heck I want one for myself, too!

Al

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Alchemy
Thanks for the info and the completely unexpected suggestion of the programmable remote. I knew nothing about them. Stayed up way too late last night researching these. Yeah, it'll solve my spousal request, but heck I want one for myself, too!

Al

You're very welcome.

Now help me figure out a way to get my girlfriend to buy me that NEC 84" plasma screen ($24,000) and we'll call it even. lol

·
Registered
239 Posts
Just curious why you guys would wanna use your receivers so much ?

I mean if you wake up wanna hear the weather , just wanna flip through channels at 1 am and watch nick at nite or cnn why bother with the reciever?

Even with macros shes still gonna be having to adjust the volume through the reciever on every channel.

If your TV has headphone outs i would try some inexpensive PC speakers.

Ease of use is more important then quality in this case.

Having to listen to seinfeld reruns over the HT speakers isnt always the best option.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KINGOFOOTBALL33
It's a simpler solution than having a second set of speakers with less clutter.

I mean if you wake up wanna hear the weather , just wanna flip through channels at 1 am and watch nick at nite or cnn why bother with the reciever?

Properly set up, it's not a bother. I have one remote with macros programmed onto two buttons. Press the left one and everything for cable TV comes on. Press the right one, everything is turned off. For basic operation, does it get any simpler than that?

Even with macros shes still gonna be having to adjust the volume through the reciever on every channel.

Not sure that what you're saying here is what you intend. Granted some TV channels (and for that matter some commercials) are louder than others, but wouldn't you have the same issue using speakers wired directly to the monitor??

If your TV has headphone outs i would try some inexpensive PC speakers.

Ease of use is more important then quality in this case.
As stated above, you can set these systems up were using a receiver with a programmable remote is easy. Now if you're sitting around with 6 remotes trying to show someone how to use them, you do have a problem.

Having to listen to seinfeld reruns over the HT speakers isnt always the best option.
I'm not sure that this is standard, but my receiver, a Yamaha RX-V1000, has a "mono" sound field setting. I suppose for the really bad audio that accompanies some programs, you could use it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Quote:
It's a simpler solution than having a second set of speakers with less clutter.
I guess its a matter of opinion. A small pair of pc type speakers would be next to no clutter and require simply turning on the set with a standard remote.

Quote:
Properly set up, it's not a bother. I have one remote with macros programmed onto two buttons. Press the left one and everything for cable TV comes on. Press the right one, everything is turned off. For basic operation, does it get any simpler than that?
Granted once setup its simple. But it requires the research and purchase of a new remote which would run min 100$. Set up and programming of not only codes but macros.

Having to point the remote long enough for the macros to run there course.

As opposed to simply powering up the TV with standard remote.

Quote:
Not sure that what you're saying here is what you intend. Granted some TV channels (and for that matter some commercials) are louder than others, but wouldn't you have the same issue using speakers wired directly to the monitor??
Granted i dont have the technical proof of this , but over the course of 8 years ive realized that TV particularly at night volumes vary greatly from ch to ch. This is somewhat minimized through a tv set speakers , through a receiver the range is much more noticeable.

Quote:
As stated above, you can set these systems up were using a receiver with a programmable remote is easy. Now if you're sitting around with 6 remotes trying to show someone how to use them, you do have a problem.
The original statement said his wife didnt want to mess with the reciever and made no mention of a universal remote. So i went with the simplest solution.

Quote:
I'm not sure that this is standard, but my receiver, a Yamaha RX-V1000, has a "mono" sound field setting. I suppose for the really bad audio that accompanies some programs, you could use it.
Yes i have used similar settings in the past and its a good option. But again it would involve the wife changing soundfieldsand using the receiver.

I just prefer giving my receiver a breather. I personally dont like watching sportscenter and cosby reruns through my receiver. Having the TV setup with its own speakers saves money on a remote , electricity , and overall time.

But of course it doesnt have the cool factor of the other options.:D

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Quote:

If you don't understand this, you may be on the wrong forum :)

I had a friend ask me this the other day and I was dumbfounded. My first response was "Why wouldn't you want to use your receiver, thats what it's for.

People that ask this question either don't understand how a receiver works and what it does, or are not interested in the added functionality of a receiver.

When set up properly, the receiver gives added quality and control over the material, with no additional work.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Quote:

I guess its a matter of opinion. A small pair of pc type speakers would be next to no clutter and require simply turning on the set with a standard remote.

Wouldn't you also have to somehow tell the TV to turn on the external speakers??

Granted once setup its simple. But it requires the research and purchase of a new remote which would run min 100$. Set up and programming of not only codes but macros.

Having to point the remote long enough for the macros to run there course.

]

Good point. I use the remote that came with my Yamaha. It's got a lot of features that may not be available on other remotes that come with receivers. While its running its macros, I leave it laying on the glasstop table pointing in the general direction of the TV and the component cabinet. It definitely has a kewl factor turning everything on.lol You are definitely right about hand holding the remote while its going through its macros. If aimed wrong while its executing a macro, you may not turn something on. Mine was a pain to program, but I think some of the prontos and similar devices may be more user friendly.

As opposed to simply powering up the TV with standard remote.

Granted i don't have the technical proof of this , but over the course of 8 years ive realized that TV particularly at night volumes vary greatly from ch to ch. This is somewhat minimized through a tv set speakers , through a receiver the range is much more noticeable.You might want to check the dynamic range setting on your receiver. For some, changing it to a setting that reduces that range is preferred. I really get put out when they run commercials a lot louder than the program.

The original statement said his wife didnt want to mess with the reciever and made no mention of a universal remote. So i went with the simplest solution.

Yes i have used similar settings in the past and its a good option. But again it would involve the wife changing soundfieldsand using the receiver.

I just prefer giving my receiver a breather. I personally dont like watching sportscenter and cosby reruns through my receiver. Having the TV setup with its own speakers saves money on a remote , electricity , and overall time.

But of course it doesnt have the cool factor of the other options.:D [/B

One thing that I also found was that depending on your system, home theater audio can be fatiguing. When I got further into it where I had gone through various speaker combinations and finally tweaked the sound with equalizers, I found it much more enjoyable and without any fatigue. Early on however, I felt like you. I just wanted to give the receiver a rest.

There are many ways that one can set up their system and it all comes down to what you like, not what someone else tells you, you should want. Its good to have a place like this where we can share these ideas.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.