AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

It's my first time building a home theater so please give me a break


The receiver I want to get is the Onkyo TX-SR876 . On the specs page, it says "140 W + 140 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz,

0.05%, 2 channels driven, FTC)" for Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R and Surround Back L/R.


I already have a pair of Energy C-500 for the front and according to the specs page on the Energy site, it has a recommended amplifier power of 150 watts. I'm not really worried about the fronts but rather the matching surround and center speakers.


The matching center speaker is the Energy C-C100 It has a recommended amplifier power of 125 watts. The matching surround is the Energy C-R100 , which also has a recommended amplifier power of 125 watts.


Would a 15 watts difference be enough to damage the speakers? Is the receiver overkill for these speakers? Would turning down the volume solve this problem? Could the receiver control the volume of each individual speaker?


Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterxan /forum/post/15560961

It's my first time building a home theater so please give me a break


The receiver I want to get is the Onkyo TX-SR876 . On the specs page, it says "140 W + 140 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz,

0.05%, 2 channels driven, FTC)" for Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R and Surround Back L/R.


I already have a pair of Energy C-500 for the front and according to the specs page on the Energy site, it has a recommended amplifier power of 150 watts. I'm not really worried about the fronts but rather the matching surround and center speakers.


The matching center speaker is the Energy C-C100 It has a recommended amplifier power of 125 watts. The matching surround is the Energy C-R100 , which also has a recommended amplifier power of 125 watts.


Would a 15 watts difference be enough to damage the speakers? Is the receiver overkill for these speakers? Would turning down the volume solve this problem? Could the receiver control the volume of each individual speaker?


Thanks.

You will be fine. You need to know the limits of your receiver however. If it is pushed to it's limits where high levels of distortion appear (clipping), your spkrs can be damaged.

Yes your receiver controls the level of each spkr.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,276 Posts
I would highly doubt that you would utilize the full power of your Onkyo TX-SR876. 16w and 32w is already considered extremely loud in most situations. Don't worry about the wattage, just don't crank it up instantly.


The receiver controls the volume of all speakers when you press the (+) and (-) buttons on your remote or rotate the volume knob. There is however a setting of speaker levels on the receiver which is used to properly calibrate the speakers with each other (Audyssey sets this up automatically for you, try it out).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,323 Posts
The Energy specs confuse me.

Says something like "nominal 8 Ohms-Min. 4 Ohms??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blued888 /forum/post/15561405


I would highly doubt that you would utilize the full power of your Onkyo TX-SR876. 16w and 32w is already considered extremely loud in most situations. Don't worry about the wattage, just don't crank it up instantly.


The receiver controls the volume of all speakers when you press the (+) and (-) buttons on your remote or rotate the volume knob. There is however a setting of speaker levels on the receiver which is used to properly calibrate the speakers with each other (Audyssey sets this up automatically for you, try it out).

16 and 32 watts???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 /forum/post/15561617


16 and 32 watts???


I think he is referring to it takes doubling the watts for every 3dB increase in volume.



For the OP- Speakers are most often "blown" by over driving an under powered receiver/amp causing clipping. Clipping is what blows the speakers. If you're hearing distortion turn it down. That receiver will be fine with your speakers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,866 Posts
My local retailer was telling me that the Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Amp that puts out 400w per channel was melting parts of reasonably expensive (cc-590/690 from paradigm) center channels.


I don't know if he was full of it or not but it seems like if there is FAR to much power it could be a problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher /forum/post/15562146


My local retailer was telling me that the Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Amp that puts out 400w per channel was melting parts of reasonably expensive (cc-590/690 from paradigm) center channels.


I don't know if he was full of it or not but it seems like if there is FAR to much power it could be a problem.

So what's the point? Any amp can be pushed to it's limit and blow a spkr. due to distortion. Yes you could go the other way and blow a spkr by over driving it with too much power.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 /forum/post/15561589


The Energy specs confuse me.

Says something like "nominal 8 Ohms-Min. 4 Ohms??

I think it means that at certain frequencies, the impedance dips down to as low as 4-ohms. But the average of impedances across all frequencies is pretty much around 8-ohms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 /forum/post/15561617


16 and 32 watts???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarpon /forum/post/15561678


I think he is referring to it takes doubling the watts for every 3dB increase in volume.

Yep, I was referring to that. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterxan /forum/post/15560961


Would a 15 watts difference be enough to damage the speakers? Is the receiver overkill for these speakers? Would turning down the volume solve this problem? Could the receiver control the volume of each individual speaker?


Thanks.

15 watts is relatively insignificant, nothing to worry about. Something more like 100 extra watts could be potentially something to worry about tho.
The far more important issue is underdriving speakers which is a lot more common, and more important with 4 Ohm speakers but yours are 8 Ohms nominal so you should be good.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top